Real World Advantages That A Client Will Buy

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Smallaxe, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

With the high prices of ferts, getting worse every year, we could certainly use a simple, common sense idea of getting more NPK onto the lawns. Even utilizing NPK for efficiently...

What are some practical steps that are easily understood by clients, that maintain beautiful lawns?
  2. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

Improve the soil.
  3. Smallaxe

Thanks for the response...

I could speak for 15 minutes, just giving the client a brief over view... :)

How do we relate the idea of improving the soil, to the fella who thinks of grass as an outdoor carpet?
    What is simply understood by the average homeowner?
  4. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Are you looking for great copy for your marketing material?
  5. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

Somehow have to convince him that the soil underneath is more important than underlayment sheathing.
  6. OrganicsMaine

OrganicsMaine LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I am! Lets see what we can come up with here!:clapping:
  7. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

It's not hard. The hard part is giving them the same quality turf.

Depending on the fert used, they help with carbon sequestering compared to release of carbon.

Also, less use of pesticides which means less risk to health, pets, and family.

And again depending on fert, if it was a waste stream... recycling/sustainable.

Also, depending on fert... does not compete with food sources.

In the spring, depending on how you manage it, they have less surge growth.

Less immediate leach potential means there MAY be less chance of polluting their groundwater. I don't use this one though, as some organic practices can cause more leach potential and more groundwater pollution potential than chemical ferts.

In the end the bottom line is a lawn that MUST look just as good or better than a chemically managed turf, and at a comparable price. The bragging rights that they hired an "organic" company after that is only gravy.
  8. Smallaxe

You have just listed all the stuff that people do NOT want to hear about... Most people do not believe that CO2 is killing the planet. What most people see from environmental science, is the DNR... Little or no credibility... therefore they don't believe they are hurting a thing.
  9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I'll bite ... which ones specifically?
  10. Smallaxe

I would like to be able to market some organic activity, without sounding like an enviro-nut, with lots of do-gooder ideas. High sounding academic words, ideas, and concepts, appears like snake oil.

I am hoping for basic common sense ideas, that would appear to the client as a moment of discovery. For exa: We know that good soil structure, produces healthier turf but how can we sell a job to the client, that makes it happen?