Real World Advantages That A Client Will Buy

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Smallaxe, Jan 17, 2011.

1. OrganicsMaine

OrganicsMaine LawnSite Senior Member

FOr new accounts, and budget allowing, I will be starting with a compost/seed app in April, then in mid may an NP screamin' green, then in late June Alfalfa meal. July, CT w/molassass. Aug./Sept. CT & Seed, Oct. NP

Insect control would be IPM

Thoughts on the program?

I don't approach customer's with the fear factor either, they usually shut down. I usually just ask why, if I can produce comparable results, wouldn't you eliminate the pesticides etc? If nothing else, start with an NP program, this will get you good results w/out the compost. Once you develop the relationship, then you can upsell the 'post app.
  2. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

A good substitute for compost top dressing is NP 4-3-1 applied at 20lbs/K with a regular spreader.
  3. Snowy66

Snowy66 LawnSite Member

Hey Barry, is the 4-3-1 available at the El Dorado plant? That's the Dynamic Duo right?
  4. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

You'll have to contact me privately for product information.

Hey, you've grown your business well. Care to share how you present your case to prospects with this forum?
  5. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

nevermind ill pm
  6. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

My pitch is something like this.

The product we use buffers the salts (big problem here) I can usually point out some salt burn within 15' of the front door.

It breaks up compacted soil and allows the water to penetrate deeper and prevents runoff so the water put down on the landscape actually stays on the landscape.

Our product does not cause that big flush of fleshy, watery growth that is so attractive to pests. So our product makes the plants naturally more resistant to pests and disease.

It allows the plants roots to penetrate deeper so we get a bigger nutrient trey to draw from. Over time this also allows us to water less frequently which minimizes weed growth.

Plus the fact that I practically give away fertilizer injectors to consistently apply the product helps too.

In one of the earlier posts someone said they had a topdresser I am guessing its a machine. Someone have a link or picture and ballpark cost of one of those? Does Walker make an attachment?
  7. Barefoot James

Barefoot James LawnSite Senior Member

I hope you are using lots of humus. Thats the only way you are ever going to fix the salt issues.
  8. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know if you can fix them here with water that comes out of the tap at 8.2 and everything needing to be irrigated even something that is fixed now will be broken again in a short time with our water.

I have been using this product for almost 20 years, all I can tell you is it works! The guy that makes the stuff starts explaining stuff to me and he quickly gets over my head. I don't need to know how it works, just that it does. Here is a link if you have questions I use about 25% of the multicare and 75% of the gro max in my injectors. They put product out at about 2000 to 1.
  9. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Do you think you could get by without the July app, and possibly combine the may/june app into 1? At least with compost you can't really put on 'too much'...

Do you/they typically mulch mow the lawns?
  10. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

That bio-feed sounds like it is similar to compost tea. I believe that stuff works as you say in remediating the soils, I wonder do you have compost available and whether people typically mulch mow their lawns down there?

I would think that in a sandy salty desert, people grab and hold any opportunity at OM whenever possible...