1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Real-world experience: Redmax 8001 vs 7001

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fiveoboy01, Nov 14, 2006.

1. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I've narrowed my backpack blower to these two choices.

For those of you who have used BOTH:

Is the 8001 worth the extra 80 or so bucks and 3 or so pound weight penalty?

Have any of you calculated the difference in fuel consumption?

Is the power difference negligible enough that I should just go with the 7001?

How does the fit/finish compare on the two models?

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I think I'm beginning to understand why homeowners always give me that look of disbelief when I show up around 2pm to take care of their leaves.
  3. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

it depends what you want to do with it. i do have both machines and the 8000 /8001 is awesome for spring / fall cleanups. this is the only time i use the back pack blowers. when i'm mowing i use my hand held blower unless its really wet. so if your looking for a blower to use everyday the 8001 is most likely not the machine to use. the 7001 might be a better all around blower.
  4. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

7001 - all purpose/all season - tough as nails - reliable.

8000* - Fall clean-up pro - a large estate/commercial props wunderkind - questionable reliability.

Verdict: Gotta have both.

*8001 - may have bugs worked out. Even Envy purchased one - now thats an endorsement! :laugh:

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

Yaa, and Envy say's Lesco is as good as it gets also?:hammerhead: :laugh:
  6. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I support Envy on this also:)

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

Wrinken I bett when Envy makes a left hand turn your noise gets broken off in the crack of his a$$?:laugh:
  8. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

OOOOOOOHHHHHHHH.......:eek: :eek: :eek:
  9. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Really, I did three yesterday that would have take all day each for the average homeowner. I used a echo blower too. What I need is the 8001 redmax. The forum has me all worked up about getting one. Slow year has me not wanting to part with any dough. I could use the echo still for spring and summer regular cutting. Just have to have the redmax..:drinkup:
  10. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

I recently had that decision to make too, and I picked the 7001. About 20 minutes ago I finished my first heavy use of the 7001, and I'm delighted with its performance. But the main reason I had chosen it rather than the 8000 or 8001 is that I'm a skinny old geezer (140# and 74) and I thought the lighter weight would be easier for me to handle and the specs didn't seem to be that much different. But to my surprise, the weight didn't really seem very heavy, and I'm sure I could be comfortable with a few more pounds on my back. As good as the 7001 is, if I could make the choice again I'd shell out the extra 80 bucks to have even more power. But don't get me wrong. I'm delighted with the 7001, and no matter which you choose, I'm sure you will also be happy with it.

My only concern with these RedMax backpacks is going up on a roof with one on my back to blow out the gutters. Mine seems awkward for that kind of activity, so now I'm looking for a high-quality hand-held blower.