1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Real World MPG figures on trucks, especially interested in the Isuzu types

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Rons Rightway Lawncare, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Just curious as to what kind of real world mpg figures you guys get out of your rigs.

I pull a trailer, nearly 5000 pounds total weight, with my 4.8 liter V-8 powered Chevy Silverado with automatic trans - and airconditioning ALWAYS on! - and over a week I drive around 300 miles and average between 12.5 and 13.5 mpg with it.

Considering a Isuzu type truck, one with either the little Diesel they offer or perhaps the gasoline 6.0 Chevy V-8 they offer as a cheaper alternative.

I know some don't think MPG is all that important, but to me it is. If I drive 300 miles per week getting 13 mpg I use 23 gallons of gas at say 2.50$ per gallon = 57.50$ per fill up. If had a truck that only got 10 mpg I would use 30 gallons x 2.50$ = 75.00$ Or 8 mph x 2.50$ = 93.75$

Or if I could get a truck that got say 15 mpg - such as what I was told the Isuzu Diesels get - It would be 50$ per week

So jumping from 13 to 10 costs me a extra $18 per week Or from 13 to 8 costs me a extra $36.25 per week.... This is between $72 to $145 more dollars a month just to drive the same route. Or of course if the diesel does what I have been told I would save about $30 per month on fuel.

I know I know.... Who cares about the extra cost of fuel! Well..... Those numbers will be even worse the higher gas costs! At 3 dollars a gallon the difference is $ 84 to $174 MORE dollars per month than I spend on my current truck for my route.

Sure Gas prices are falling, but I bet you they will be right back up to 3 bucks per gallon before too long. I can buy alot of stuff with the 72$ a month I save in gas by keeping my truck and not getting a 10 mpg guzzler, and I can really buy alot of stuff with the 174$ a month savings over a 8mpg guzzler when the price of oil goes back out of control.

Anyway, enough dribble.... Just wondering what you guys are getting. I would love to hear from people with all different kinds of trucks, but since I am HIGHLY considering a Isuzu type truck with a landscape body for my next truck, I would really be interested in hearing what these guys get, gas and diesel
  2. turboawd

turboawd LawnSite Member
    from midwest

so, you are averaging 12-13mpg while towing currently with the 4.8?? and you want a isuzu diesel to get 15mpg??? just the cost and hassle of switching vehicles doesnt make sense.
    what is the price difference of the trucks?
  3. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i average about 12MPG in my van, but after plug abd wire changes, i should get 14MPG, my grandfather's F-250 superduty XL V-10 that i sometimes use gets 12MPG ehrn empty, and towing about 9MPG.
  4. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't want to switch vehicles to get better mpg than I get now - although that would be very nice!

No, I just been thinking long and hard about ditching the truck and trailer and just getting a Isuzu type truck and putting the mowers on the back. I have a second vehicle so 95 percent of the time my truck is only used for work. It would be nicer to drive the more manuverable isuzu than my truck and long trailer... less tiring too I think.

I am reluctant to do this if it means it will cost me alot more in fuel costs to service my route. I already know the insurance will be more, and the cost to buy the isuzu will likely be more too, just want to get more info to make the best choice.

As a side note, I have alot of toys that normally get towed if I want to take them anywhere. I also have a large popup type camper that also has to be towed. One reason for the isuzu truck is for the few times a year I might want to go out of town with the camper, using the large bed of the isuzu I could take my toys with me too.... Right now with my chevy I have to either bring the camper or the toys but not both together.