Real world MPG for the new ford 6.2 gas, and 6.7 diesel. For those you use it to tow.

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by southernturfpros, Jun 8, 2014.

1. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

About 10 mpg for my 2012 6.2 f250

2. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

wow , shocked by these numbers. I have a 2006 with a 6.0 diesel and get 15.7 driving , 15 towing. Get about 13 in the winter.

3. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

With a 2012 f350 4x4 4.30 gear 6.2 gas, trailer 10k lbs and 1-2 k lbs in back of truck, average of 9 - 9.5 mpg hand calc, most guys ive tallked to with the new 6.7 diesel pulling/ hualing similar say 10-12 mpg, so i suspect your right on expecting a couple mpg better,

is that worth it? i doubt it, not fot me anyways
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. southernturfpros

southernturfpros LawnSite Member

Y'all now got me leaning more toward the 6.2 gas. I figure since I tow about 5-6k daily I could possibly achieve 10-12mpg. 70% of my driving is 2 lane hwy about 60mph with no traffic. Thanks for the input.

5. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know how big the def tank is but I know it's not cheap and they put about 20 gallons or so every oil change in my truck. It's a chassis cab bucket truck from altec so I don't know how big the tank actually is but the light has never came on. I know it's about 8 bucks a gallon at the station as I bought a bottle to keep in the truck should I ever need it.

6. Falcon50EX

Falcon50EX LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

2013 F250 4x4 13.5 towing and 18 without trailer. I did a trip to New Orleans from GA 19.5mpg to NO and 19mpg back.
    DEF is $12 -2.5gal I use 10 gal between oil changes.

7. AMW Landscaping

AMW Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Diesel is cheaper than gas around here.

8. ClassicLawnCareInc

ClassicLawnCareInc LawnSite Senior Member

I have both. I have a 2012 F-550 crew cab 4x4 with a 12' dump. This truck is always loaded so the diesel is the only option for that kind of weight and use. For 2 of my mowing crews I use a 2013 2 door 4x4 F-250 with the 6.2 gas.

I agree with most that if your towing or hauling heavy a lot then the diesel is the way to go, but if your not towing a lot of weight theres nothing wrong with the gas engine. Theres a lot less than can go wrong with the gas engine. On the diesel your worrying about the engine itself and all of its emission eqpt. That gets costly quick.

9. dig419

dig419 LawnSite Member
    Male, from maine

new 2012 f350 / 6.2 from day one 12.8 and 13.1 **** with trailer 16ft . i'm happy.

10. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

since the new diesels are so restricted and get poor mileage I am in the process of switching back to gas. if the new diesels got the same MPG as the old it would be worth. I know its not a ford but my new 6.0 vortec get the same milage as my dads 6.7 cummins. my 5.7 cummins blows both out of the water. I would say it would be worth it as well if you were driving hours at a time. simply driving and stopping all the time like on a mowing route will kill mileage. repairs are killer on diesels. don't expect anything less than 3k on simple repairs on the engine if you don't get extended warranty. 8k up front will buy a lot of gas at the difference between the 2. also the front ends on these trucks wear quicker as well