Realestate Agent Co-Op

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1BadHawk, Jul 2, 2005.

1. 1BadHawk

1BadHawk LawnSite Member

I had a realestate agent call me the other day wanted to know if I would maintain his customers lawn until they sold the house. Would probably be 4-6 weeks.

I was wondering, do any of you have any sort of referral program with realestate agents? Im thinking this could be a decent way to pick up short term business.
  2. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an agent that sends work my way from time to time, and it has worked out well so far. It's usually clean-up type work, mulching, pruning, and trimming. Just make sure you have a contract of some sort, and the homeowner pays you directly.
  3. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

After I bought my house our agent stopped by on the day the moving truck arrived and she noticed that I had quite a bit of lawn stuff. She commented that "you must really love lawn work". When I told her that I used to have lawn accounts in the town I moved from she mentioned she could send me some work. It has been a great relationship. She understands that my schedule needs to be flexible, I always get paid and the sellers are usually absent and are willing to pay to make the place look nice. I am considering offering the same service to other agents as well. Couldn't be a better arrangement. I do the mowing and pruning and I subcontract the mulch installs to a guy with a blower truck. Wheeeeeeeeeeeee
  4. AlbeLawn

AlbeLawn LawnSite Member

When you do work for someone that is selling the house you have no way to cover your a$$. I they decide not to pay there is no lien that can be filed because the house is owned by someone else by the time you find out they are not paying. I have been screwed twice once by a agent and another by a homeowner.

If i were you i would test the water by asking for payment ahead of time with a contract signed by both parties. Or even half of the payment. There are just too many ways for them to screw you and get away with it because it is a unknown amount of time, and unknown amount of services.

Just be careful, i was not screw out of a lot of money but money is money.
    I also still do work for a select few agents that also send me plenty of landscaping and maintenance work. but i know that they will pay out of there money is the owner screws me. So just be careful.

Albenesius Lawn Service
  5. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree, watch yourself, request payment in advance, and always have a binding contract with an agent.. Remember, the agent has no fiduciary interest in getting you paid. They work commision, and that ain't affected whether you get paid or not..

Or you can just do what I do: Don't work for Real Estate agents.
  6. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Sure there is. Just make the realtor sign the contract. In my state you have to go to court before you can file a lein. Most realtors own their own houses.
  7. AlbeLawn

AlbeLawn LawnSite Member

They own there own houses but if you dont do work on there house there is no way to put a lein on their house. You did not add value to their yard. They only place you can put a lein on is the house the work is done for and that will be in someone elses name.

8. steve225

steve225 LawnSite Member

I have had good customers for 20 yrs. and still get ripped off for a cut when they sell there house. Make them pay for each cut . Don't let the bill get big .
    Good luck !

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I have NEVER had any luck with real estate OR Insurance agents. I think the real problem stems from the fact these guys think they own their own business when in reality, if a million-dollar claim comes through, it doesn't come out of their pocket.
    Those guys always try and get over on me, one way or another - Like you said: You have no way to cover your @$$.
    The only thing that irks me is, why is it that business owners are twice as likely to screw you than non-business owners? At least that's been my experience, and it has been my experience since long before I started this business... I think at least half of all business owners (and wannabe business owners) think that running a business is all about scamming and scheming.
    It's not ALL business owners, but definitely the solo/owner-proprietors and yes I've had slightly better luck with small franchise owners (like gas stations, convenience stores, et al) and small but established businesses (places that have been around 20-50 years or longer). That's another thing: Lot of those guys will lie to you when they talk about how long they been in business ... As for me, I have to know who they are, I have to specifically remember that yes, this store was here 20-some years ago, I take no word for granted.

That's what I think.
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Well now hang on... I ran into this 2 years ago and did work for a insurance agency and then they refused to pay (yes, ain't it grand). And I hand-delivered a letter to them saying I would place a lien on their house for work done at their Insco and I got paid.

Maybe it was legal, maybe it wasn't.
    But I got paid.

No I hate taking that kind of risk, I was really worried for a while and is one reason I don't do well with these kind of folks (insco and realestate agents).