Realistic acres per hour on z and hp

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jrudd007, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Jrudd007

Jrudd007 LawnSite Member

Hey everyone,
    I have been running some numbers overnight and been trying to figure out a real life acres/hour number. Please tell me if the following numbers are high, low or right on: 23hp 52" deck@ 7mph and 60% efficency= 2.6 acres/hr
    28hp 60" deck@8 mph and 60% efficency= 3.4 acres/hr
    All input would be appreciated. I picked the above speeds and efficencies due to the job I am bidding on- it is a 14 acre soccer field so there is a minimum numer of obstacles and its flat ground. So when its all said and done I think I should be able to mow the area in 2.3 hrs running both machines. Thank you, Justin

2. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

Don't know about the 60" but I know that I get about 2.3 a.p.h. w/ my 52" 22hp over moderately rough ground meaning that if I were to go full out I would break my spine if you know what I mean and that is pretty consistant w/ one weeks growth. But as far as a nice smooth flat out soccer field where it were cut more often, I would expect around 3.00-3.25 a.p.h. if able to cut at a higher speed and greater efficientcy. 80% efficientcy is probably closer w/ 52" and a little more efficientcy w/ the 60".

3. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I just used a demo 52" mini Super Z w/ 24 hp Honda on a 5 acre property last week. Keep in mind that the front yard 2+ acres is really rough due to moles plus it has a lot of trees. I ended up spending 4 hours on the mower that day. I was hoping to cut my time to 2 to 3 hours, but couldn't realistically do it. Most of the time I felt like I was on a bumpy roller-coaster ride, and by the end of 4 hours my lower back felt like someone beat it with a 2X4. 80% efficiency is a nice goal to shoot for, but I ended up running about 30%-40%.

4. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

work_it,
    what kind of pressure are you running in the tires? it was a demo unit? they might have had the air pressure set high, to look good. i run a dixie and can go full speed on just about all my accounts (13+mph) i run 4-5psi in the rear tires and 13psi in the front, little' ruff sometimes, but tolerable..

5. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

^teeca, I'm not really sure what the tire pressure was, but when I started going over some of the areas that are heavy in mole tunnels it felt like I was either going to fly out of the seat or watch parts start flying off the mower. That Super mini Z has a transport speed of 15 mph and cuts great on a smooth flat area at about 11 mph. The problem was that I was stuck at a crawl at about 4 mph 3/4's of the time. It's a hard property for any mower to perform well on, but that's the reason I chose to use it for testing demo's. It has every condition immaginable; from low lying wet areas to hills, trees, ditches, etc. The place is a lawn care nightmare, and don't think tire pressure will make that much of a difference. I'm willing to try though, and will get back to you with my results. Thanks for the advice.

6. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

My 48" JD 717 ZTR can do about 2 1/4- 2 1/2 acres an hour at ~7mph..

My 54" Lesco ZTR can do about 3 acres an hour at ~8mph..

It all depends on the layout of the property and the smoothness of the ride. I'm sure all ZTR owners can vouch for their lack of comfort when riding on rough terrain and if you go fast enough you'll lose your lunch..

7. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Depending on how nice those fields are, take into consideration the terrain and how fast you will ACTUALLY be able to mow. I have 60" and on one of my accounts, which is a little more than an acre, it takes me right at 40 minutes to mow (it does have quite a few trees, but its the terrain that slows me down becaues it will shake me off the mower if I go more than about 4 or 5 mph).

8. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

but its the terrain that slows me down becaues it will shake me off the mower if I go more than about 4 or 5 mph).

I can read the headlines now, "------ falls off while mowing rough ground!" LOL couldn't resist

9. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

ouch!. . .lol

10. rlmelton

rlmelton LawnSite Member

Jrudd, get onto the Dixiechopper website and click on the part about production and type in the didgets and it will calc it for you.