1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Realistic profit for first year?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Birddog Lawncare, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Birddog Lawncare

Birddog Lawncare LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

This will be my first year in the business. I will be a one man operation. I have a 36" walk behind, a stihl blower and trimmer. I have a FT job right now that pays well, I just want some extra income on the side. I'm only looking to have 5-10 accounts this year. (All residentail ranging from $25-$50.) What are realistic profits for a first timer? Any advice would be appreciated.
  2. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

We need more Info of what kind of work your doing IE: mulch, trimming, landscaping so on and so on. but first thing you need to do is get a buss. lic. and Ins.
  3. Birddog Lawncare

Birddog Lawncare LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

How much does basic insurance run? Where the best place to get it at? WHat's involved in applying for a business license?
  4. CNE

CNE LawnSite Member

You will probably not make any profit the first year due to equipment purchases. Especially part time. I spent $13,000 last year and didn't start my business until June as a part time business while my wife is in school. I work 40 hours a week at another job. I mow every chance I get. I can tell you from experience, it is hard to juggle lawn care around another job because you have to plan your yards for a specific day and if it rains, well you're screwed tying to catch up. I have enough business to pay all expenses and put a little back but not much more. I guess that's about all I can ask for for now is for it to pay for itself. As soon as my wife graduates, I go full time. Good Luck.
  5. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you guys spend that much on equipment?

I bought what I could use... So far it's 4k including advertising and what not.
  6. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

last year was my first year, and I was very happy to say I broke even.
    Unfortunately, in the last few weeks of the year, also totaled our van, but that's another post.
    anyways, my plan was to try and break even the first year, with all the purchases, and then in the second year, turn a profit.
    So far, a couple setbacks, but still fighting to be on target.
    staying pretty small for now, but plan to go full time in 4-5 years.
  7. bibs in pa

bibs in pa LawnSite Member

guys like you we call scam scapers. You guys always try to low ball us real lawn and landscapers.
  8. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

9. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Whos talking about lowballing?
  10. montaguejh

montaguejh LawnSite Member

When you guys talk about breaking even are you referring to paying for your equipment or paying for equipment plus living expenses (i.e. house, food, etc.)?