Really Bad Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by just Cuts, Sep 5, 2003.

1. just Cuts

just Cuts LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I had my new helper start today. At interview she said she had worked on commercial crew. got to my first five lawns and gave her the trimmer. I cut all five lawns,edged,went to check her work and she went around all five lawns with NO string in trimmer! She also spilled a gallon of mixed gas on another lawn! I want to fire her but need the help. Think I might fire her and work alone untill someone calls about ad. I'm sooooo mad right now! Just needed to vent some. :angry:
  2. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

is she good looking?
  3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Either blonde,Or really nervous.(you big bully!):D
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I just hired on my first female worker ever 2 weeks ago, and she is a better quality and harder worker than all of my previous workers put together
  5. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

6. GLAN

GLAN Banned

She lied at the interview

You have 2 choices

1 Cut her lose

2 Train her and pay her accordingly for the training.

If you need the hands, then you will do #2
  7. maple city

maple city LawnSite Senior Member

As a female, I expect to work as hard and be as efficient as any man on any crew. There is no reason for this to have happened with your new employee. The gas...Ok, maybe SOME of it could spill...

But, the string...WHAT!!!???!!!

Did you drug test her before you hired her?

How could you trim 5 lawns and not notice you don't have trimmer line?

Cut her loose...she's giving us all a bad name!

8. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

where abouts in the Northeast are you?
  9. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

jc--dude--surely you are posting a troll.:rolleyes:

if you did what you said regarding pitching the babe a trimmer and then taking a hike for five are either an idiot or not qualified to manage a toadstool.

it's your biz--if you wanna run it like you are saying you are then SUPER! but I can't believe that you would make the post that you did unless it is pure troll.

besides...assuming you are on the level...di-ju ever think that she mighta run the mower on her last job and not the trimmer???:dizzy:

10. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Geo, you make some great points in your reply, but no string in the trimmer. You would think after the first time you go to trim and nothing happens..............time to reassess the situation.

Just cuts, why don't you try working with the girl for a couple of weeks. Pay her accordingly, and tell her that she's on a trial basis only. If after 2 weeks she doesn't get the hang of it let her go. One way to look at it is it's a perfect opportunity to train someone to do the job to your specs. No bad habbits to deal with. Also teach her to pour gas in the smaller equip. in the back of the truck. Easy clean-up.