Really disappointed in post-emergent spraying results.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Envy Lawn Service, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

OK... I have always been a "granular control" man on most things execpt really small lawns where I could use hose-end applicators of concentrate or a small sprayer.

However, this year I decided to expand on my liquid applications and do some larger areas by spraying... especially the late ones or ones too late for a fert/control combo app.

Well, I've done everything by the book with the sprayer, and the results stink. I've performed a second app by the book and the results still stick. The kill/control really sucks and there are no cop-out excuses for it either.

I'm getting plenty of wilting... but good grief it's perfect killing weather... and to sum it up, wilting ain't passing for dead. Only some of the weakest stuff has actually been killed, and honestly that could have been from recent weather.

Anyways, I'm strongly considering returning back to granulars such as Confront from Lebanon Turf. Things that have proven to deliver results...

That is, unless someone wants to offer some useful and honest information about how much "TOO STRONG" you mix/apply post emergent lawn weed killer sprays.

If you are not willing to be honest, or only want to make a "smart remark" then just move on...
    Thanks.

2. I have some questions for you. Some of them may seem simplistic but I want to ask them anyway.

What control product are you using? How old is the product?

What sprayer are you using? How old is it?

What rate are you mixing it at and how much volume per 1000 sq/ft.

Do you mix a large tank and spray it out over several days, or do you mix what you will need for a singe day, everyday?

Are you using a spreader/sticker?

What setup are you using to spray (Lesco gun or wand boom sprayer, or something else).

What weeds are you going after?

Are you sure your spray rig is calibrated properly?

3. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

It is illegal to use confront on home lawns.

4. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

Give more details, there are too many variables to your situation. We get raves about our kill rates. more info please...

5. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

how long has it been since u sprayed some products take weeks to kill totally

6. Envy Lawn Service

You 'were' correct, but you are 'now' incorrect.

When the change came about, I got all confused on the different products.
    I have all the updated info but I haven't set aside some time to "absorb" all that.

I've had GREAT results out of the commercial product applied on commercial sites.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Product = typical 2,4-D three-way type concentrate.

Age = I personally have not had it long... do not know the shelf age though. (good point)

Sprayer = SP Systems Landscaper's Choice 2 sprayer

Sprayer Age = Brand New

Mix Rate = Strongest LABELED recommendation

Volume/Per = Direct Spot treatment

Mix Age = Mix on-site and use on-the-spot, no 'ready-to-use' transport.

Sticker = Included in product, but I have also tried adding non-ionic surfactant & ionic surfactant
    (both additions seemed to produce lesser results) (?)

Setup = Backpack direct spot-spray in these cases

Target Weeds = Buckhorn Plantain, dandelion, false dandelion, and white clover

Calibration = Nothing to calibrate

8. Envy Lawn Service

The last one was some of my own property treated with a second app on Memorial Day.

Overall, all I've accomplished with 2 apps/per is some kill of clover, and just wilting on the rest.
    I've got dandelion upright and showing flower.

9. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

if you add phosphite to your post emergant spray you will be amazed how well it will improve your results,,,,,i think lesco is getting it private labeled and should be in their stores now.

10. Envy Lawn Service

Thanks, I'll check into that possibly. I use Lesco equipment, but the store is 80 miles from me, so I don't use them as a fert/squirt supplier. I may have to break down and make that change... just make an occasional supply run or set up a delivery.

I've just never made a habit of buying volume bulk as I have never been in-love with the idea of site-storage of these items. I like the local supplier agreements I have.