1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

REALLY dry in western NC............

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by K&L Landscaping, Apr 16, 2006.

1. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Are any of you guy's in the western part of NC starting to see the effects of the drought? I can't believe I am already considering skipping a few cuts this coming week. Looking at the ten day forecast we have no good chance of rain. I have never seen it this dry so early in the year.
  2. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

Going to be a dry summer over al of the east coast i have a fealing!!! Makes me wonder to since its dry so early in the year
  3. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

Very dry here to, well, for this time of year. Ground water is there but surface is drying up much sooner than usual. Partially due to a lack of snow here. Nothing to worry about though.....yet.
  4. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

the wind has also been really strong the past few days wich is just sucking water right up...
  5. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Unfortunately, it's all of NC K&L. We are right at 7" below normal for the year. Raleigh is still under water restrictions started last summer. This week, I noticed the lawns are just starting to get that weird green color. You know, sort of dark right before they turn brown.:confused:
  6. stumpjumper

stumpjumper LawnSite Member

this is the driest 8 month period in okla. history. less rain than in the dust bowl days. grass not growing at all, wildfires all winter. even the oaks are looking sick.
  7. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I'm also a Raleigh firefighter and woods fires have been keeping us busy.
  8. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

not much rain here in north ga either. cool weather tho. HOPEFULLY WE'LL GET SOME SOON. cap button slip. 2 years ago it was very dry at the start of the year, then it poured it out the rest of the year.
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

We got a little sprinkle here finally this afternoon.
    Not enough to matter though.
    Just a thunder sprinkle.
  10. southtx

southtx LawnSite Member

Down here in south tx we have not gotten enough rain all year and at least half of 05. My father and I run 50 mama cows and my father has been burning pricky pear for the past 7 months. I have been hauling water to 2 ranchs for the past 9 months the tanks went dry. Here in san antonio we have had some rain but still not the amount we need to make the lawns grow the way they should be this time of year. Some of my lawns that came back with the rain we had are already looking dry and are turing that green color before the turn brown. I hope something changes soon lord knows we could all use the rain.