1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

REALLY DULL blades do no damage. Are sharp blades a myth?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by casey, Sep 4, 2001.

1. casey

casey Guest

Last week one of my helpers put the Exmark mulching blades on our WB on upside down. He then cut 3 residential accounts. The wavy Exmark mulchers managed to scalp some spots even at 3.5. The lawns looked like crap but I decided not to recut because we would have had to cut at 2.5 to even out the turf. I tried not to let it bother me & went on with the days work.
    I expected the turf to be browning or unhealthy looking when I arrived at those accounts this week. The turf looked good, green & growing like after a normal cut. We have had little rain, & none of these cusomers waters so WHAT GIVES?
    I've allways kept blades sharp but this has me wondering if I'm working too hard at keeping that razor edge.
  2. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

From what I have seen dull blades leave tufts of grass, that's reason enough for me to sharpen blades regularly. Do you have any pics of these lawns?
  3. Dull blades are a problem, because they do not give a good clean cut of the blade. They tend to shred the tip of the blades. Look closely at the blades and you will see the injury. Not just scalping, but torn leaves.
  4. andyslawns

andyslawns LawnSite Member

dull blades damage the tip of the grass blades. you can tell if your blades are dull if the tips of the grass is extreamly light in color. dull blades do not leave as clean of a cut. it also lets water out of the blades. think of it as this, if you get cut with a dull knife it bleeds a lot. if you get cut with a razor it dosent bleed as much. Just my 2 cents worth
  5. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Casey, you bring up some of the most unproductive topics I have ever seen. Mow with dull blades if you wish, I'll pass.
  6. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

won't go into the "health" aspects related to the turf ...... how about dull blades make the mower work harder ..... which cost you more in the long run maintanence & fuel usage ;->
  7. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I'll keep wasting time sharpening mine, thanks. Ever cut a steak with a butter knife? May work, but why?
  8. casey

casey Guest

I don't mow with dull blades. The blades were freshly sharpened & put on upside down by a helper. The grass was cut with the flat side of the blade & I found it odd there was no browning or other damage to the turf the following week. Why did the grass show no ill affects?
    Of course the cutting job looked like crap but it was more turf damage I was worried about.
  9. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont think turf dmage will come from one time cutting with dull blades.
  10. JMS

JMS LawnSite Member

For the first time the blades ran backwards they probably have square edges. They are not at an angle but they would still cut cleanly.