REALLY late Fall Cleanup!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Husky, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Husky

Husky LawnSite Member

I have never touched a fall cleanup before, never had to pick up a leaf. The sales lady from one of the developments I service calls me and asks me to give her a price on mowing fertilizing mulch and most of all, the removal of all the leaves on the fenced portion of her property. So I measure 7513 sqft to cut, ok thats great, 122lf trimming and no edging, comes out on my estimate at 25-30 dollars straight flat cut, this is straight flat open ground mind you..

I get to the back yard and notice it to is a good 15 to 20,000 sq ft, thats the fenced in area with the leaves she wants all gone. I would be dumping on site, not a far drag from the back yard. Leaves are caked about 3 - 5 inches in places. I've never priced one before. I know price varies, but I would appreciate a shot in the dark by anyone right about now. Remember, she is the sales lady at one of the jobs I do, and the job is nearly finished, she will be moving to another development, and will more then likely after this cleanup be carring my business cards around in her pocket. What do I do??? The back yard is nearly all mulch hardly any room for grass, lots of trees-----lots of leaves!!

Thanks guys

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Could you get by with pricing by the hour? It's hard to even estimate that kind of job, much less macke a solid bid...that is unless you don't mind taking a chance at loosing your you know what....

3. Husky

Husky LawnSite Member

My initial reaction was around 200$,, yea I am stumped...around here I know we get alot more for a yard like that??? The economy here is awesome...more help please guys

4. I wouldn't touch that unless I gave a bid tripple to what I thought or an hourly price.

Tell her you wouldn't feel right by giving her a flat price.

5. Husker1982

Husker1982 LawnSite Senior Member

Most Definately do it by the hour. Since you have never done fall cleanups I will let you know first hand that if you do a flat rate to please her you will be pissed in the end. There are always suprises most certainly do it by the hour no question.

6. I couldn't agree more. This is one of many reasons I do all my leaf pick ups hourly. I have that are not because the hourly price I would make less than the set fee I have been using, but that is becides the point.

There is almmost no way you can estimate how long it will take to tarp wet packed leaves like you explained.

7. Husky

Husky LawnSite Member

What is a good hourly rate for a fall cleanup?

8. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

What ever your normal hourly labor rate is. If you end up using large equipment, such as a leaf vacuum, you have to increase the rate to match the cost of equipment being used. Around my area hourly rates range from $20 - $60 per hour. The lower rate is usually guys using rakes (with maybe one blower) and tarps, the upper range are companies using ZTRs and vacuums to do the cleanup.

9. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Husky, Glad to see someone else from Northern Va. I would highly recommend that you go with the hourly rate as you have never done a leave cleanup before and you certainly do not want to under bid this job. Best of luck to you!

Gravely_Man

10. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally, 35/hour right now through about the 20th of Feb. After that 45/hour. I am working a minimum of 50 hours a week once March rolls around so I will be charging a very healthy rate.