Really need advise!

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by clntn_mccoy, May 17, 2008.

1. clntn_mccoy

clntn_mccoy LawnSite Member

When dealing with a custemer new or old< how much info. do you tell them about the methods you use to bring there yard back or maintaining it. What if someone pulls up AND ASK YOU HOW DID YOU MAKE THAT PERSON YARD LOOK SO GOOD. How do you reel them in without giving alot of info out, that will help them try it themselves?

2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

tell them theres only one way to do it..... hire your company.

3. clntn_mccoy

i like that

4. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

Customer : Wow, that lawn looks terrific! How did you do it?!
    You: Well unfortunetley there is only one way to have the same results for your property.... and thats to have us give you a FREE Estimate!

- just a thought. dont be cocky about it though.

5. clntn_mccoy

I have written that one down!

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That whole bit where they use my info for themselves is frustrating, thou.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I got one:

Why are you asking me, I just work here.

8. psychodoe

psychodoe LawnSite Member

I agree it sucks to give info for free. I get calls all the time about trees from people saying they got my name from the extension service. They ask what should I do to my trees? I used to go out for free in hopes of landing some work. Now I offer consulting for a set fee. If they want to do fertilization or any form of Plant health care there self I spec in products that I stock or have become a dealer for. I then make a consulting fee and can mark-up the product and make a little more. Since these products cant be purchased locally in most cases, it prevents them from price shopping and if they find it on the net my product is usally cheaper than online price plus shipping. Face it a do-it yourself type is going to do it there self. You either refuse to help them and guarantee you dont make a dime off them or find away to tap that part of the market. You make a customer out of anyone you just have to provide what they want. You will know in the first 30 seconds if they looking for information or service.

9. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

I'm more than happy to give FREE advice to ANYONE that asks both here on lawnsite or in the field. I've found that you get more respect by being honest and helpfull than just being a smart alec. Most of the time people will find out that by "doing it themselves" will cost them the same if they use the same products that I use but they don't get guaranteed results.

Just by asking me the questions tells me they truly care about their lawn. I use that info to my advantage in making the sale.

10. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Simple, don't give it to them - especially for free.
    I charge all of the time for consultation on turfgrass issues and site maintenance problems when the property owner/manager wants to do the work themselves.
    Provided my company is requested to perform the work, my estimate reflects base information such as X times fertilizing, pesticide application, mowing. I will not place specific details in writing without a signed contract explicitly indicating payment methods, service to be performed and an expected completion date.
    For all of you who offer "free" site visits - have a good time giving your business away.
    When questioned about my policy of charging for information I simply respond that the consumer is requesting detailed specifics which I will be more than happy to supply once they have signed on the dotted line.
    If they refuse, and most seldom do then they have demonstrated their true intention(s) of free loading on my nickel - and that is something I will not tolerate.