1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

really need your input

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jimslawns@yahoo.com, Oct 29, 2005.

1. jimslawns@yahoo.com

jimslawns@yahoo.com LawnSite Member

I am interested in advertising my companies new business offering soil laboratory testing in the following areas:

By sending soil samples and sample locations or numbered locations, the city and state by which the soil is sampled, We will be able to analyze and offer solutions to lawn / turf.
    We are a new company rising up in Tennessee and will soon be opening offices in Florida. Currently need your input or advice on this company venture:help:
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

So you have labs that you will be analyzing peoples' soils in, or do you mean sending to places?
  3. jimslawns@yahoo.com

We have laboratories available to conduct soils testing.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I thgink as long as you could offer a reasonable enough rate, accurate testing, and market enough, you may have a market. It's really hard to say, though. For instance, many of the facilities that do this, don't just do this. They do other things as well,...it just so happens that because they have the labs and the means to do this, they do. Universities, for instance. Ours are sent out to MSU through our cooperative extension services.Our local Lesco sends theirs to an independent firm, but I don't know who or where. Both cost us around 12 to 15 dollars, and include the printout that also has the CEC. Now, if you could market your local suppliers and fert. companies, and give them some sort of mass discount, you might be into something. It would be interesting, to say the least.
  5. jimslawns@yahoo.com

Thanks Runner,
    We are currently entering into the marketing firms and are working the prices so that someone covering a large portion of property wouldnt spend a small fortune to give their customer an accurate quote.
  6. Shane7258

Shane7258 LawnSite Member

This may loose my spot here but here it goes; most of the people on this site are full of hot air that couldn't give advise to a chicken crossing the road; most of the folks on here are part timers giving advice of full timers! Be careful of the advice you take
  7. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks Shane with one year of experience. I will be watch out for you hot air. :D
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

No, he's right. I've only been in this industry for 23 years, now. 21 of the years with my own company. He spotted me right out.:p :D
  9. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

You should only listen to advice from full-timers. The best advice from a full-timer is BobbyGedd so do whatever he says. :D
  10. daveyo

daveyo LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.J.

Shane, I think you may have a point but it just came out a bit harsh. It's a good idea to do a little thread search on the people your going to take advice from. If they do nothing but talk about how they get rid of customers you may want to take there advice with a grain of salt. I know when I do soil testing for customers I only charge $25 and I send it out to Rutgers University. I don't charge a lot because I am looking for the work that is possibly generated from the results. How about marketing to other landscapers, especially ones doing newer developments and rehabs. Being able to offer solutions for the landscaper to give to the customer gives the landscaper incentive to work with you.