Really nice guy, but time to cut ties

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DVS Hardscaper, Aug 9, 2012.

1. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Guys, dont let Zedo confuse you! His old age is settin in bigtime, he's on the verge of needing round the clock nursing care :)

We were waiting for the supplier to arrive with 20+ yds of top soil.

2. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

You got it wrong I'm the one who gives the nursing- to my guys that is, lol
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I won't stand for slow vendors. If you're not willing to jump on it asap (reasonably asap), then I'm sure there's someone else who is. Our vendors know what we expect, and strive to maintain that. If they don't follow through, they get replaced by someone who will. Sounds harsh, but we're selling labor, and don't have the time or the money to throw it away waiting on slow vendors....

4. jmacd

jmacd LawnSite Member

I delivery materials with a tri-axle dump for other contractors. Waiting an hour is not that big of a deal. If the truck is busy like it should be than lots of factors come up in the day that will put the truck behind. We do try and call with an ETA. Hard to find loyal vendors also.

Before I owned my own trucks I waited all the time, didn't matter who I bought from. Try waiting for a concrete truck, late every time.

5. SVA_Concrete

SVA_Concrete LawnSite Senior Member

One hour with no call is outrageous.

I hate when i dirt/stone delievery is critical path to the job. My preference of course is deliever one day prior.

6. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

I also try and deliver dry stuff ahead of time but my concrete guys are always on time for first load(90% of the time we pour at 7). Mid day loads are rolling the dice
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Pretty poor justification and reasoning.

Not being on time or not truthfully communicating is piss poor management. Not the trucks fault. Not the load operators fault. Trucks and loader operators don't answer phone calls and schedule deliveries.

A contractor with guys on da clock can't be waiting an hr. 30 min tops. Top soil is the last thing you do. Not really anything else to fill in time during the wait, other then clean the truck's windows....
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

Exactly how I feel. Our normal process is we will call our vendor and place the order a few days a head if we can. We'll let them know a rough idea of the amount of yards/tons we need and weather it will be for the morning or afternoon, to make sure they have the proper truck(s) available in the relative time frame we are predicting we'll be ready for it. Then as soon as we know when we actually need it that fits our schedule (usually the day before) then we will call back and schedule an actual time for them to deliver. If I call the day before and ask for an 8:00 am delivery and they say they can't deliver until 10:00 am, that is fine. I'll work around those two hours. But if they tell me they will be there at 8:00 and don't show up until 9:00, I'm pissed.

9. jmacd

jmacd LawnSite Member

I understand your frustration, I have lived what your talking about for years. Most of my jobs are rate pay so a minimum hourly is $48/hour. My point is try other suppliers, I would be willing to bet that you will experience the same service at some point.

If your usage is large, like everyday than that will have an effect. The price, quality, quantity delivered is also factors. My point was don't jump to fast, try others and you could end up back were you are, only thing is at that point your current supplier could know that you have given others your business.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  10. LTL

LTL LawnSite Member
    from Tulsa

It sounds to me that coordinating was the issue not he late truck driver.