1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Really Noob Grease Gun Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greenred, Jun 8, 2008.

1. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

It has been some time since I have had to change the grease cartridge in my grease gun and after replacing my old one I can not get the gun to work.

I opened the gun up and took out the old one and pulled the spring and plunger in the base back and locked it in position. I then inserted the new cartridge, and released the mechanism that pulls the spring and plunger at the base of the gun. How ever I can not get the gun to pump grease. I also can not get the bar that pulls the spring and plunger back to pull them back. It just moves back and forth freely - while the spring stays extended. No matter how much I pump I cant seem to generate any internal pressure in the gun.

Like I said its been a long time since I had to do this and I can not figure out what I am doing wrong. Worse part is 5 minutes of messing with it and you can not do a damned thing cause your hands are to slippery from the dammed grease.
  2. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

There should be a bleeder valve or a bolt. Try bleeding the air while pumping until some grease comes out of the bleeder.

Just thought of something else -- you may have the cartridge in backwards. The end which has the pull tab should be near the nozzle and the plain end which had the plastic cup towards the rear.

3. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

Thank you for the advice and the warning about the cartridge position. I will check it out.

On a related note - what is your guys opinion on the best grease to use on a mower?
  4. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I use Shell Albida EP2 high temp grease, it's red. I had to have a specific grease type for my trailer wheel bearings so I use it in my spindles, and all the little grease fittings. I think I paid $20 for a case. Tony
  5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Make sure the top is screwed on really tight
  6. Langford2000

Langford2000 LawnSite Member

Sometimes you can get the gun to prime if you screw the barrel off the head about half way and the pump the gun as you are tightening it back down.