1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by matth04, Jul 24, 2005.

1. matth04

matth04 LawnSite Member

Has anyone contacted Realtors to find work? I have 2 realtors in town that I know pretty well, and was wondering if anyone had any success with using them to promote your business? I guess it could never hurt to ask.
  2. matth04

matth04 LawnSite Member

I should have used the search function before posting this. I found good information. Sorry about the hassle.
  3. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I had a few that contacted me to upkeep props until they close. You need to be careful as many realtors forget about the lawn guy and focus on their customers, thereby leaving you unpaid. Fortunately the ones I work with are great and I just fax my invoices in and get a check a week later.
  4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

My sister in law is a realtor and we have several rent homes in the family.

I was told that the home owner is responsable for the upkeep.

as you may know the realtor just shows the house. they can recomand that the home owner cuts the lawn " or has it done" but direct contaic with the middle man "the realtor" I have never had luck with.
  5. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

several larger realators also manage rental props. There is work out there if you contact the right ones. But like said you may wait to get paid so if your looking to get paid for your services today because you dont have the capital to bill monthly or even bi weekly then you may wanna consider just sticking with residential
  6. roushjh

roushjh LawnSite Member
    from KS

The realator I work with sends work my way. We had a guy a few months back the we both thought was pretty shady. I cleaned up his property, and she sold it in less than 2 weeks. I sent him an invoice but never saw a check. I gave my realtor a call and she just said to fax it to her, and she added it into closing.

You'd have to have a pretty good relationship (which I do), with someone to do that.
  7. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I did work for a guy that about 70 to 80% of his business was homes for sale.

I just never had luck with it,

It was kind of a pain, you would get your route going and get used to it, then they would sell the house and they would add another one to the list and driving time would kill us,
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't do business with realtors or insurance agents due to the comedy, the main part of which has already been mentioned: problems getting paid. I gave one of them a chance this year and sure enough, never got paid... Needless to say, as soon as a cut goes unpaid, no more service.

Then IF the owner is responsible vs. the realtor but the realtor hires me to cut the grass, GOOD luck getting paid again, the owner knows nothing about any of it and the realtor doesn't care because the house isn't theirs, either. I say if the realtor wants the grass cut, let them get out there with their own machines.
  9. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I'm with you on that.......it's so importaint to have the home looking like a million bucks, but then they " the realtor" dont wanna pay for it..

like we dont matter or something