Realtrack GPS- Giving it a try

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by PlantscapeSolutions, Sep 26, 2010.

1. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

For $180 bucks and only $18 a month I went a head and purchased a tracking unit. I pondered the one you can hide under bumper one of the other posts were talking about. But I want to know what going on in real time.

I really like the idea of knowing where my crew is at any given time. Are they taking the shortest route or are they going the long way. How many minutes are spent at gas stations or other places is what I want to know.

My crew members are clocked out when they leave the last yard so I'll be able to match the time sheets to the GPS as well. I'm guessing that 80% of the guys on Lawnsite drive their own truck and don't need GPS. I'd like to hear from the guys who run crews from the office not the truck and use live GPS.

With this unit I'll know when the trucks engine is running or turned off. The unit records every time the trucks ignition is turned on or off. If the truck is stationary too long with the engine running someone's enjoying the AC too much or chatting it up on the phone.

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

I'm very tempted to get one as well. Let me know how it works for you! I am kind of having trust issues with some of my guys. They are using way more diesel each week than I think they should so naturally I want to know why lol.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. PlantscapeSolutions

I'll let everyone know what I think of it and I'll send you a PM with my number if you want to talk about it. I just have one crew but I'd say if you run multiple crews it's a must have. The potential for waste is just too great.

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

Ya I run one crew most of the time and they split up a couple days a week. I never work with them tho.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. lawnboy852

lawnboy852 LawnSite Member
    from PA

Let me tell you, if I ever ran a crew that I wasnt supervising directly, there would be a gps in that truck from the get go. There are far too few good people in this world, what can i say, ive lost my trust in humanity. Especially when people are paid by the hour, wasting time is the name of the game.
  6. PlantscapeSolutions

Here's a little scam GPS would have caught. I hired back an employee who had left to work for a bigger company in town called Sunterra. He worked his way up to Foreman at Sunterra and learned to habla muy bueno Espanol. I was impressed and some of my employee's were prior Sunterra workers who knew this guy. It seemed like a good fit to hire him back from the company I had lost him to.

This guy was only in his 20's and had six kids so I knew he could use the money. When he left the first time he was a bit immature and told some stories that didn't add up. It seemed like he had grown up but I was wrong it turned out.

The first thing this guy does when I hired him is go but a used Cadillac. This guy had six rug rats to feed and buys a damn Caddy. Two weeks later there were in the hood $2000 20's mounted on the Caddy. About two weeks later he puts a $1500 crimp in the quarter panel of my 06' Ram 2500 and it cracks the light. He claimed he was moving the truck in a tight spot when the accident happened. He had jackknifed the trailer into the truck backing up which is a dumbazz mistake.

Two weeks later on payday after this guy had left the shop my crew my came back to talk to me. Apparently the guy was actually running around trying to line up side jobs when the accident happened. I know this because on payday my crew said he took them to four house that were supposed to be "new clients" My crew knew the "new"houses were out of whack on the schedule and knew what the guy was doing.

GPS would have nipped this problem in the bud early on. $18 a month is a bargain to keep tabs on your crew. GPS can help keep workers a little more honest and productive.
  7. Texas Lawn

Texas Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Must have expense in my opinion. Buddy of mine had GPS and caught his guy screwing around at the grocery store Called the guy on the phone and said, "while your at the grocery store, can you pick me up a gallon of milk?" I would have love to see the look on the guys face. Im suprised he even picked up the phone. Needless to say that never happened again
  8. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

How does that work? Isn't that ethically and lawfully wrong to make your employees have face time in your truck and not pay them for it?
  9. Wayne 55

Wayne 55 LawnSite Member

couldnt agree more
  10. PlantscapeSolutions

Your thinking like a one man show. In this line of work companies clock out their crew members at the last jobsite by default. I'd be broke if I had to pay 2-3 guys to take a nap and get more OT as a result. I'd be looking at paying my guys a total of about $125 extra a week to take a nap. That's around $4000 a season.