Realy high grass!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mulcahy mowing, May 22, 2006.

1. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

This is a newbie question i know But, I just listed a new lawn and the grass is 18" tall now i've never really stopped to think and just cut when it's that tall. (take the trimmer to it first). but this is a new lawn and i don't want to have the grass get over stressed. i was thinking take the trimmer to it first i know but what would you do? cut it at 4.5"? or down to 3"? how would you go about this?

2. mhussey

mhussey LawnSite Senior Member

I would first try to get a tractor and bush hog it first. If you don't have access of one I have always set the deck to it's highest position and just keep going over it at that height. Then when you go back the next week it should be manageable. Hope this helps.

3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

If you have a commercial mower then 18" is nothing and it will cut right through it, just go slower. If you are using a homeowner mower then yes it would be wise to hit it with the trimmer first. ALSO CHARGE EXTRA for that high grass.

4. MMLawn

Naw, dude you don't need a bush hog for only 18" of grass, plus the weight of the tractor would probably damage a residential lawn, not to mention manuvering it around the lawn.

5. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

Thanks guys i'll be cutting it with my z master so i shouldn't be a problem, but just want to make sure it was alright for the grass.

-James

6. MMLawn

Yeah it will cut right through it. I have cut grass twice that tall with a commercial Z, just plan on changing or sharpening the blades aferwards.

7. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

put the deck up as high as it goes...run straight down the midel...and discharge all out to the outside edge
    Less of a mess...u may have to rake a bit on the edges
    next time cut it at 3.5 and ur on ur way...good luck

8. GPDesign1

GPDesign1 LawnSite Senior Member

Q-36 in action

highgrass.JPG

9. mhussey

mhussey LawnSite Senior Member

Yea I guess you are correct. I guess I was thinking about what could be under all that high grass. I hit a old post in the ground on a yard cuz it was so tall and thick. Thank god it didn't hurt nothing but the big dent in my blade.

10. MMLawn

Yeah he'll want to "walk" it before he cuts as anything could be in there.