Reapair or replace Kohler 15 HP

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by TaylorLawn, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Mr.Wrench

Mr.Wrench LawnSite Member
    from N.H.

Eric, the most economical way to go about this would be to go with a shortblock. It is about a 1/2 the cost of a complete engine if you do the swap yourself. If you decide to tackle this job yourself, I highly recommed purchasing the correct Kohler shop manual.

2. Molerj

Molerj LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Eric, Unless your mechanic gives you the parts; piston, rings, rod, possibly crank, gaskets etc. at cost. Parts alone will be way over 100.00. Kohler parts, as others, tend to be a little pricey. Add boring, unless that is free, & your costs go up even more. Now comes labor, unless that is free too, just removing the engine is time consuming. Start out thinking 200 end up closer to 400, still have same engine. Shortblock may be the answer. Hope this helps along with the other suggestions.

3. devildog

devildog LawnSite Senior Member
    from sc

Eric, its worth opening it up, you may find the answer in what you find. Short block appears to be the best approach. With Regards... devildog

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Kohler is putting a short block in my 23 month old unit under warrant and the parts are over $500 according to dealer. This particular engine only cost me $500 new. I am getting about 2 years on these engines on a 36" Scag Hydro. We put about 1200 hours per year.

5. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Problem with any attempt to fix/repair existing unit is only a CHANCE. Considering the initial problem, I'd recommend a new engine, be done with it. You could end up spending a lot more fixing the current one before it's all over.