Rear Airbags

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by RedWingsDet, Apr 8, 2007.

1. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

Has anyone purchased air bags for the rear of the truck when towing heavy loads. Im looking at getting a set without the compressor for $250 and just mounting the hose fittings by the license plate.

Im stumped weather to get bags or adding a leaf. Im leaning towards bags since they can be adjusted for the winter.

Whatcha think?
  2. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

that's exactly what i did for the astro, i go a set of 3/4 ton airbags and installed them so that when i load up the tandem axle trailer, she don't have any sag at all. works great, plus, you can lower the airbags to get better handling when you don't need them.
  3. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I had a set on 2002 f-250, set up just like you are saying. They helped alot. My brother has a set on his king ranch, w/compressor, I think if I was to do it again, I would go w/compressor. You can air up other things also.
  4. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I had air bags in my old truck, they worked good I loved them however I don't how they hold up in the long run. I got a buddy who has them in a 250 and one has a hole in it and they are only 3 years old. I am not sure how hard it is to get replacement bags might want to look into that. Did you look into timbrens?
  5. RedWingsDet

from Detroit

ya I really dont want timbrens. IMO timbrens are only good for the front.
  6. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd get the airbags with the compressor if it was me. You never know when your going to need to change the air pressure mid-route. the only problem is mounting the compressor somewhere.
  7. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes get the compressor I agree, mounting isnt a problem just throw it under the dump insert. I duno yet If I want to get a set for my new truck...
  8. Snyderserv5060

Snyderserv5060 LawnSite Member

I'd go with the compressor version. Plus a few of them out have attachments for filling up tires and we all know how useful that can be out on a job.

I may go with a set of these on my F350, just need to get a kit made for a lifted truck.
  9. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

When i bought my dodge 3/4 ton it had a set of air bags on it with the fittings mounted in the rear they are about 8 or 9 yr old and still holding up fine. I do have to adjust them accasionaly but mostly due to temp changes. I really do like them i do run them a little lower on pressure then they say. It makes a better ride i mean allowing the suspension to move a little more freely than if they were aired up to the max and this little bit of suspension travel i think helps stuff ride easier on my trailer because the rear absorbes the bumps a little insted of being more rigid
  10. RedWingsDet

from Detroit

Thanks guys. I ordered mine today. Firestones with 5,000lb rating. I didnt get the compressor, I am going to see how it does without the compressor, I didnt want to spend the extra $300 for the compressor when I can fill the bags up at the shop, or I can just plug the air compressor into the cigerrate lighter and use it that way if im in a jam.