1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Rear bagging walk behind!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gogetter, May 3, 2001.

1. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Ok, this is for all the manufacturers out there.
    Why don't we have a rear bagging walk behind??
    The side bags just get in the way big time!
    Trac Vac is costly, complicated and cumbersome looking (to me).
    How hard can it be? Hell, my 21" Craftsman has one! LOL!
    Seriously though, seems to me that it has to be possible somehow.
    This is the year 2001. Soon we're all gonna be hovering around. Surely someone can design a commercial walk behind mower that can do the same things that a 21" push mower can do?!
    What do ya say guys? Thoughts?
  2. yorkpaddy

yorkpaddy LawnSite Member

I can see a couple problems with a rear bagger. Counter rotating blades would probably be helpful, cause you'd need to put the clippings into the middle of mower and under it to the back. Once the clippings get back there you need room to collect them. This would obstruct the shifter on belt drives. and you can't have a bag that comes out 2 feet, cause then you can't hold onto the handle bars. if you have a 36 inch there are balance problems, with the deck lifting all the time.

The hustler shortcut has the backvac, which looks pretty cool
  3. Eng Mwr Guy

Eng Mwr Guy Gravely Manufacturer

I was thinking a large garbage can on the top of the WB deck with some sort of vac system pumping into it. Kinda pricey I'd think.

Rear discharge would allow some king of non-powered rear bag capability.

I have thought the same thing. If you could live w/longer machine it is feasible I believe.

Keep posting ideas. Some manufacturers listen. We may not react to every one but we do listen (read actually...haha).

4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

If your gonna bag then the Walker is the way to go. I can't justify it for only catching grass and I would think that most of us feel the same. Thats why I use it for dethatchings, spring cleans and leaf cleanups as well as the customer who has to have their lawn bagged. It is as versatile as a walkbehind with the luxury of riding. Not the cheapest in the world but I seemed to have paid for mine quickly.
  5. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

Where would you stand?? With walk behinds, you have all the belts and pulleys under there.. I'm sure someone could do it but it would take a lot of redesign and probably increase the price.
  6. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

Greenskeeper is right, where would you stand? They would have to make the base alot longer and it would be costly and take up to much room on the trailer, unless they made a flip up deck. I think that it is fine where its at.
  7. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Hey Barry, you just described the Trac-Vac exactly.
    But it is a bit pricey and I think the can would get in the way abit when going around bushes/low trees etc. Neat idea though!
  8. mountainviewland

mountainviewland LawnSite Member

I beleive ferris made a rear discharge walk behind mower but it wasnt availible here just in europe. They would be great for cemetaries. Less mess on the stones
  9. Daryl

Daryl LawnSite Member

I would agree that the Trac Vac system is way to cumbersome for a walk behind. There is a landscape company here that has developed their own bagging system for their walk behinds and I'm also in the process of making one since I was unable to find anyone who made a sensible bagging system.

It consists of a 56 galon tub that mounts on a steel tray above the mower deck. It then has a belt assist with a blower fan that vacuums the debris into the tub. The lid of the tub consists only of a elastic tarp for easy on and off.

The blower fan is from a John Deere mower and uses a plastic fan. There wear out about 2-3 fan blades a year but the system works quite well.

They use John Deere walk behinds so they had no trouble with matching up there blower fans to their decks.

I use Toros so I have to do some metal work to match mine up.

They have the blower system installed on everything from 36 inch mowers and up. The blower system adds about 7" inches to the width but all they have to do is slip off a pin and the fan belt and it comes off.

I just don't understand why manufacturers cannot figure out fast and efficent systems that we need. Instead they got to cumbersome baggins systems that often don't work. Especially those stupid cloth bags that hang off the side and those metal ones that make the mower so wide it's like operating a sheet of plywood.

I'm sure I'm the same as many of you but everytime we buy some piece of equipment and use it for a short time we are scratching our heads going, "Why did they make it like that?" and then we go and redesign it etc.
  10. crs

crs LawnSite Member

Excel Industries (they make Hustler) makes a couple of machines that rear discharge and have catchers available for them. I have a 251k that I keep around just for leaf collection and mowing areas where I don't want to blow grass all over the place.