Rear discharge Bad Boys, new for 2008

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tb8100, Dec 24, 2007.

1. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

My local rep just let me know that Bad Boy shipped a number of RD AOS diesels overseas and will introduce them to the US shortly. Now if they would only release a 34" and 42" Pup...! And WBs and standers too! Won't happen til they finish their MTV though. They like to focus on one major product at a time.

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

hope they do better than the JD's

3. tb8100

from TX

they usually do a great job on their products. Look at them today as opposed to 5 years ago. They are infinitely better and have alot of features now that other mowers do not have. 4 wheel torsion suspension, swing-out tanks, 5 gauge deck, 4-rail front frames, and more.

The JDs are nice mowers, but don't compare at any to given price point (and no suspension seat even!)

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

After that municipal dollar....

5. tb8100

from TX

yep, thats the idea! Bad Boy hopes to take over the commercial market in general soon. They have a great product, and they really just need to work on getting the word out.

6. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

I have demoed one whats the big deal? The cut was eeehhhhhhhh, The ride was ok speed was pretty good, swing away gas tanks was awesome but how much do you really need behind one, and the price was good. Over all It was a ok machine at a good price.

They will probably the next dayne/everide. This market is tough I give them credit for trying but I do not think it will end good!

7. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

Which one did you demo, and what year was it? Every year they have made changes. The indepedent 4 wheel suspension with air-adjustable seat is an unbeatable ride, and the new air baffle system on the deck makes the cut only comparable to exmark. Speed ok? 15mph with a clean cut is only ok? That is sick on a functionable lawn mower. Good price? How about 2 to 5 thousand dollars cheaper to a comparable mower from a competing company. I physically mowed with almost every major player out there and always went back to the Bad Boy, then you find out its cheaper. Best all-around package in my book, definately worth a demo and a quick comparison! If you demoed a ZT which is their $4495 sooped up homeowner mower, and are used to commercial, I will totally understand your comments. You will actually will need to go back and try out the lightning 26hp lc with the susp. system and air-seat for the magical price of $7495.00

8. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

Hey Frue, just looked at your sig, and noticed you just got a ferris 2000. The lightning is a perfect comparison for you.
    Ferris Retail ?7999 52in...............Bad Boy Retail $7495 52in
    25hp air-cooled Kawa...................26hp LC Kawa. (double lifespan)
    10 guage steel deck.....................5 guage 1/4 inch thick deck
    suspension.................................suspension
    10mph.......................................14mph
    greasable spindles........................Completely sealed and lubed spindles
    12 gallon tank.............................14.5 Gallon tank
    1150lbs......................................1085lbs
    fold up seat................................fold out everything (easy access)
    painted maybe (not sure)..............Powder coated (rust, chip proof)
    There are other small differences, but I really don't think that your dealer that gave you the demo did you any justice. Hopefully this will help give you a better perspective when you get ready to purchase

9. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

I demoed the biggest one they had. I cut with it for about 15 min in a near by field. The suspension really does not compare to the ferris. I have the ferris is 2000 61 27 kohler I bought it for 8100.

I like the bad boy design but the one I used was a early 2007 model and they really were pushing it hard. I chose the ferris because I felt they would be around to honour the warranty.

10. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

Frue,
    Did you try it with the spring or rubber suspension?
    The rubber gives a much better cut quality.