1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Rear Discharge Decks....Any future for these?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tonyr, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Realising most of you blokes run side discharge with OCDC's, and not, and mulch kits, chute blockers etc, etc...plus bagging grass.

Just a simple question, are rear discharge decks like the new Hustler and J.D something you folk would ever be interested in , in your businesses?

I'm puzzled as on this forum there is vertually no interest in these, yet 2 big companies just released models in your country, and mine, but there does not appear to be the interest from contractors in general....I'm confused why these companies made a deck that appears to not be something of interest....

These decks are extremely productive, and no side discharge....safer.

BTW, I heard Toro is making a rear discharge deck model in the near future.

So the marketing guys must think there is a solid market out there somewhere, but just where?
  2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I think they are making them for the people who have them already. They are now on slower, higher tractor type mowers. Now theses people can get them on a true zero turn and faster mower.

Rear discharge is only good on open areas and cemeteries around here. when you turn you cover whats next to you on some models.

3. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

I think the time and $$ would be better spent making better mulching systems than RD mowers.
  4. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

good points guys thanks.

re mulching....I agree....but as we know mulch decks can be slow, so developing a fast mulch deck, which was actually a mulch/rear discharge would be awesome.

the J.D deck has like a mini mulch system to chop clippings finer, so that is a good start. Now just to improve the mulching ability to be faster, but neater would be smart.

In time I think we'll see some pretty smart rear discharge decks....ones that can mulch great and do heavy work, in time....

awesome deck when you get used to them, took me awhile, but now wouldn't consider going back to side discharge.
  5. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

Can anyone give any insight on how well a rear discharge deck can stripe? It would look to me like it would cover any evidence of striping.
  6. CottonPatch

CottonPatch LawnSite Member

The rear discharge market is huge in my area for muncipalities and government entities. They use them mostly for medians,parks and right of ways. This has decreased broken windshields and accidents down to nothing. Also have guys down here that mow nothing but chemical plants and refineries. This fits their application very well, because they just want the grass cut.
  7. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I have to agree on that one. RD decks may be safer and have the ablilit to trim on both sides but a better mulching system would do that too and be more usefull. Just my 2 cents!
  8. mowtech

mowtech LawnSite Senior Member

Rear discharge decks are popular in Europe. The reason is that the Europeans are general ahead of the rest of the world in areas related to safety and safety legislation. Side discharge is often not a viable option due to danger from thrown objects. In addition, turf areas tend to be smaller with plenty of areas where they do not want to throw clippings--boulevards, etc. Mulching could be an option for them; however, due to budget constraints they generally do not cut as often plus the grass tends to be lush and fast growing both making mulching problematic. Rear discharge decks have been used in Europe for many years on out front rear steer mowers. Z mowers are just starting to catch on in Europe, hence the new rear discharge decks on Z mowers.

Rear discharge advantages:
    1. Safer than side discharge
    2. Use less power than mulching and side discharge if designed with individual cutting chambers.
    2. Can trim on both sides.
    3. Clippings are generally kept within deck width requiring less clean up.
    4. Blades stay sharper longer than when mulching.

Rear discharge disadvantages:
    1. Clipping dispersion is extremely dependent on conditions--often clump and uneven. These decks are extremely difficult to design well.
    2. More clippings will get into traction the unit.
    3. You are always running over the clippings.
    4. They often are designed with less air flow to promote better dispersion which can cause streaking and stragglers in some conditions.
    5. They are often longer front to back to allow for a rear discharge "chute" which can lengthen the machine.
  9. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

So in summary the Europeans don't care if their lawns look like crap?
  10. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

My words exactly :D