?Rear discharge,, likes/dislikes?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tinkerer, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

I have only mowed with one rear discharge and that is a Toro 48" deck with the two big blades and one tiny blade in the front/middle of the deck. It was on my Toro 117 Groundsmaster and lots of grass found its home in the engine compartment so I stopped using it.
    What are your likes/dislikes of the rear discharge type of deck and on what type of mower was/is it on?
  2. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

unless your mowing a cemetary don't use them
    That odd blade is an invite for someone to screw it up
    They never give a nice finished look
    Always cost more than conventional deck
    So on and so on
  3. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I have used a variety of rear discharge machines on C3 turf.
    From a little 72" Toro Groundsmaster all the way to a 18' Howard Price.
    Personally, for C3 turf I like rear discharge, particularly when mowing higher than 2.5".
    On C4 turf, I dislike rear discharge due to dust and other contaminants finding their way to the engine compartment and radiator.
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I think it was TonyR down in Australia that was using one made by Toro. He had all kids of problems with it cause the dry clippings were all over the radiator grill causing the engine to overheat excessively.
  5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

That was Tony's John Deere............
    His Toro treated him pretty well.
  6. rodfather

Thanks Dave, now that I am reminded, :sleeping: I stand corrected.
  7. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

rear discharge mowers have their places. But for residentials where you need a very good cut, they won't do it. I demo'd a 72" hustler, that thing had some power! It went through anything I wanted and left a pretty good cut, but wasn't a nice manicured cut. Like the rep told me, they aren't meant to be a great finish mower, they're meant for the commercial properties where you need just a good cut and keep productivity up when theres alot of obsticles.
  8. rodfather

that Kurt and where you don't want to make a career out of using a BP to clean up the parking lots huh
  9. mowtech

mowtech LawnSite Senior Member

Rear discharge decks are popular in parts of Europe and usually have been designed for that application. There are several reasons.

First they are safer from the risk of thrown object injury to bystanders and property damage than side discharge decks. Because of the thrown object risk, side discharges are actually banned in some localities. A mulching deck would work also, but uses more power, which is especially bad in the tall thick and lush conditions that can exist in Europe.

The second issue is noise. There are strict noise regulations in the EU and since you are generally unconcerned with how far you throw the discharge out of the rear discharge mower you can run the tip speeds slower and still get a decent cut.

Another advantage of the rear discharge is that you can trim on both sides like a mulching deck. The disadvantages are that they can create a dirty environment for the operator and the machine and the after cut appearance of the discharge can be questionable.

In the USA rear discharge is mostly used by municipalities due to the thrown object safety advantage.