1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Rear discharge ztr's/stand-ons

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dougdm, Oct 8, 2010.

1. dougdm

dougdm LawnSite Member

Ok, here's the deal. I mow a few cemetaries, and yes I have did some searching here before I asked.

Looking for a new rear discharge mower preferrably either a ztr or stand-on. Who makes them?

Hustler has a ztr one from what I have read. Toro has NONE from what their corporate customer service has instructed me.

dealers around me carry
    Bad Boy

2. malinois1

malinois1 LawnSite Member

Grasshopper makes them and they have dealers around you
  3. Lawn Pawn

Lawn Pawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from zone 3

From Wright's website

Picture 1.jpg
  4. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

Clipping dispersal isn't that great on rear discharge decks, expect clumps when mowing in wet.

What deck size are you looking for?
  5. lawnboy852

lawnboy852 LawnSite Member
    from PA

Well makes sense to me, clumps are better than wet grass all over head stones... we all know how nicely wet grass likes to come off anything, and having to blow off every single stone would be terrible! I would go to every dealer or make phone calls and see who can help you out. Whoever you decide to go with it will probably have to be a special order from the factory as rear discharge decks arent that common.

Ever consider a mulch kit for an existing machine?
  6. dougdm

dougdm LawnSite Member

I am kinda in a pickle, I have a 52" ztr, that I would like to eventually replace w/ a 60-62", but for the time being I am also looking for a 48" stander/wb. This would cover me for nearly everything 32" for fenced in, 48" for smaller yards, 60-62" for bigger lawns. The cemetaries I mow, I could use the 48 around the stones and the bigger one for the larger yard area around them or 60" would be nice and faster with only needing to make 2 swipes per row of stones.

I thought about an oc/dc on my ztr, but for some reason 2 of the cemetaries are alway tall and clump on a regular basis. I guess there is a spring or something around them, even now with us being completely dry. I have still had to mow them weekly. Don't know how well the mower could handle that much of a load
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  7. CSALawnServiceInc

CSALawnServiceInc LawnSite Member

Husky makes a rear discharge, good power, clean cut, but it does clump in wet grass.
  8. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Of the ones we sell off the top of my head I know Wright and Ferris both offer rear discharge. But being that its a small market they are usually special order and might take some time to get.

I am unsure on Bobcat or Toro.
  9. landers lawn

landers lawn LawnSite Member

kubota makea a rear discharge.
  10. keepoffthegrass

keepoffthegrass LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

I bought a toro Z597 27HP DIESEL rear discharge.
    They cut like shyt,
    They leave 3 rows of grass
    Tall grass, dont bother trying to cut it!
    Wet grass, yah right!

After fighting with toro corporate for 6 month they agreed to supply me with 3 deck spindles if i bought a side discharge deck. So i bit the bullet and spent thousands on parts.

I have $16,000 + (CDN) into the toro now and the motor just started smoking like a bytch. Warranty isnt even done and they voided me for because i switched decks. $1000 hydro pump went 2wice. no warranty.

Toro = Junk
    Toro customer service = Junk
    Rear discharge decks = Junk
    Briggs Deatszu Diesel = Junk
    My little 48" toro was also .... Junk ( blown motor 3 days after warrantys up)