Rear discharge

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DaveVB, Apr 23, 2004.

1. DaveVB

DaveVB LawnSite Member

After reading the post below about the new Toro deck and how well it throws grass, I wondered why a rear discharge isn't the answer to all decks and getting rid of the grass.
    I know the engineers work these things out, but how could it be a good idea to make the grass change directions as it discharges from the left side of a 72" deck to the right. I guess this is the best they can come up with as most decks have this angle change. Part of having a large deck? Thanks for your replies. DaveVB

2. Steve9

Steve9 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Ugh.. I was afraid to open this post after reading the Subject Line. I was going to give you a link to www.webmd.com :eek:

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

ever see what a bush hog leaves behind?
    that's what the lawns would look like.

4. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

our local council has a toro groundsmaster with a rear discharge deck, I saw it the first time a few days ago....safety wise around buildings and traffic and afle to overgrown grass, this deck would be ideal, as far as a finishing mower, forget it! These decks leave big windrows behind the machine, yuck! Only a council can get away with that type of finish, we couldn't!

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Hey, doesn't Ferris have a new rear discharge ZTR for '04?

6. mowingmachine

mowingmachine LawnSite Senior Member

Rear discharge decks are notorius for windrows. There really isn't a good way to get a nice even spread of the clippings unless it is side discharge. Rear discharge mowers don't look too bad when there isn't much grass being cut off but forget it in wet spring grass.

mowingmachine

7. grillonz

grillonz LawnSite Member

To avoid the windrows a flail deck is needed. Front mounted is better than the rear mount tractor powered type. See the deck on the John Deere F1445.
    Hapy mowing
    James

8. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Um...mulching. Works for me

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It would work on riders but walk behinds are an absolute no-no. They used to make push mowers with rear discharge "back in the day". They got so many impalements and other injuries from objects being discharged they had to discharge away from the operator. Forward won't work because you would constantly be recutting clippings. Left hand would work but that requires the clippings to go all the way around a deck before discharge. Right hand discharge was the only option left.

10. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Left discharge would work if you reversed the blades.