rear engine rider or walk-behind????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by martyman, Nov 10, 2000.

1. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

I have been cuttin residential now for 5years and have been mostly using 21" selfpropelled lawnmowers. last year I bought a Troy-bilt 33wide-cut mower that works great but I know that it won't last very long if I use it as my main mower. for open lots I have been considering a JohnDeere 30" rider ($2500.00) or a Toro 32" Commercial Walk-behind with a sulky($3500.00) + ($800.00 sulky) that is alot more money. I am really getting tire of walking and would like some advice on what is a better investment. thanks MartyMan

2. BUSHMASTER

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

I feel if those are your only two options i would look at the toro....maybe even a used unit i would go with a velkei you stand on it i have a 89 model i bought used and never have regret it ....that is if you can work on your own equipt.

3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Don't get a rider unless it's a ZTR. $800 for a sulky? Why not get a 2 wheeled velkie, $250-$300.

4. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Buy a used 36-48 walk behind. $3,500 for a 32 toro??? $800 for a sulky?? Very high prices!
    My local dealer has a 36 Great Dane with sulky, hydro, 14 hp Kaw for less that $3,000. Only 60 hours on machine.
    Do some shopping and demo a few mowers before you purchase.

5. Tomslawncare1

Tomslawncare1 LawnSite Member

Do yourself a favor. Go shop around and find yourself a mower that you can afford and feel comfortable using. The good dealers will let take a demo for a couple of days to see if you like that particular product. And if you don't like the product that you demo'd then don't be affraid to demo something. This is what they are for. Try out several mowers that you might be interested in. Belt drive vs. hydro. Or 36, 48 or 52 inch decks. Try them on your accounts. See what would fit your needs best. Do yourself one my favor. Don't spend foolish money. What I mean is, if you're going to do this to make decent money, don't throw your money away buying something that you're not going to be happy with. Spend that little extra you may not want to. You will thank yourself later. If it will save you time then it will make you more money! ! ! !

6. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe he is referring to a Toro Self Steering Sulky that has a seat. I considered getting one of these, but the cost and the fact that you are sitting you will feel all of the bumps in your lower back-OUCH!I think if you demo different mowers. Buy the one you like & get a 2 wheel velke, the time you save could be 1. More jobs
    2.More Money,
    3. mabey a new ZTR,which would make it a lot easier.

[Edited by mow money on 11-11-2000 at 02:45 AM]

7. Rodg

Rodg LawnSite Member

I strongly suggest you shop around and maybe find something like a 36" Hustler or ExMark. Put a Kawa engine on top and you will never look back. I understand if you are a little short of cash, try ExMarks financial options, they are not bad and have a number of choices. Good Luck!

8. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Your dealer is severly ripping you off if they quoted you 3500 for a 32 belt drive....that price should be around 2000-2300 depending on engine size....and if u are talking about a sit down sulky you are going to have big time problems since u have a belt drive which doesnt enable you to to into reverse at the end of a line. Iwould deffinatly consider a 36 or 48 hydro machine, it will save u loads of time and a lot less fatigue. and as far as a sulky goes i would look into something that is fixed to the mower and has caster style wheels. An as far as the dinky rider...throw that though in the trash, i would rather attack a yard with a weed whip bwfore i sat on one of those things.

9. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Well Marty's prices appear high because they are Canadian.

Why wouldn't you want a bigger machine? A 32" wb would be a better choice than a John Deere rider though.

[Edited by Keith on 11-11-2000 at 11:33 AM]

10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

What size engine are you considering for this mower? I'd suggest the Toro Proline 44" Hydro with a 20hp. Then you will have a little extra power to equip it with a Pro-Slide
    http://www.novaecorp.com
    Much easier to turn as well as back up if you have to. I feel that the sulky is a cheap and painful rider. But that is just my opinion.