Rear engine riders over zeroturns?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Orkin Yards, Apr 21, 2001.

1. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards LawnSite Senior Member

I've noticed that all the REALLY large commercial companies in MS use John Deere rear engine riders w/ the out front deck on the front. Why are all the companies using these instead of a zeroturn? i would think that zero turns would be better b/c they take up less room and most of these guys do apartment complexes and i would think the zero turn would be more effective on these, what am i missing because most if not all the really biggins use these really large deeres that take up tons of room

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Maybe they have a relative that sells them really cheap. ;)

I can't think of any reason to use them over a ZTR. Not a one.

3. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

Like police stations have contracts with car compaies to get a better price on squad cars, maybe they have contacts with Deere for thoes mowers and can get them very cheap. I dunno, maybe they're just dumb.

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

its probably because deere has a good reputation
    and the buyer is playin it safe.he can always say well it was a deere to explain his way out of trouble if
    the equip. turns out tonot be so good. also deere has
    such a lg network for service its probable it might be
    the easiest way to go from that standpoint.
    deere makes a fine machine. not usually my choice as i think you pay to much for the green paint.later on

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Also, with schools and such, it isn't experienced personell making these choices. It's always some administrator that doesn't know the first THING about efficiency and all around productivity. Sometimes they'll even seek advice from the all knowledgable custodian. There is a common misconception among these types, that the bigger, the better. Little do they know what they can do with the PROPER equipment.

6. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

Deere makes a ton of attachments for almost everything they produce. Thay may have an attachment for the Deere that the big companys need to do other work.
    Jim L

7. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

are you sure that these are rear engine mowers with decks sticking way out front and they have regular belly mower steering? if I am not mistaken they are zero turn as well and most people like them for the fact that you can drive the decks up under low tree limbs and such and not get the limb in an eye. They have their pros and cons

8. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Hustler makes rear engine front mount units that are zero turn, in fact they made the first ones out there.
    Plus's to this style unit are trimming is greatly improved with a front mount offset deck, also the attachment's are limitless, thus giving a unit year round use.

9. Guest

All I run are rear engine riders, We own three hustlers and one John Deere and love them, we do almost all large area work so that is one reason we dont use mid mounts but we also love them too for the trimming ability under trees and you can see the deck out front, If i did a lot of residental work we would own a mid mount but for right now the best choice for us is rear engine out front riders. Just my two cents

10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I have used both,and besides the trailer space issue-the outfront has its benefits too,the biggest one(besiders trimming is ease of maintance.The way I have to lay under my ZTR to change blades/scrape deck is getting old quick,and talk about an OSHA violation,I have to hang my ZTR's one tire off one of my trailer ramps,set the brake,chock the tire,then hope the hitch ball holds up,or im history.Then lay on your back,close your eyes as the junk falls on you,as you scrape/change blades,its about then you start to smell gas,as it leaks down the back of the frame and drips onto the ground-oh yeah-cant do it when the tanks are full either.With my Stiener,lift deck with one hand,slide jack stand under it,now its easy to clean,and change blades,or repaint,without endangering anyone or getting totally covered in decomposing grass.I can unhook my deck on the steiner in 1 minute-,and be blowing,or lifting,or plowing/scraping with any other attachments.The ZTR does have its advantages,speed,but it is a mowing only machine,relatively flat ground too,not to much else you can do with one.I think ZTR's biggest thing is they are cheap-since ther isnt much on them to begin with compared to an outfront.