1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Rear Gate Wont stay Down?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by RedWingsDet, Aug 7, 2006.

1. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

My rear door on my enclosed trailer will not stay down. I push it down and all it does is go up.

Any Ideas? The pullys seem fine and so do the tensioner springs
  2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Maybe spray the spring assembly with CRC or some type of lube. Maybe the spring is corroded or dry and in a bind. I know that doesnt explain it good, I was a mechanic with a trucking company for 20 years and thoose doors can be a pain, but surprising how much a little lube can help. also one other thing, make sure one of the cables hasnt came off the spool and got around the shaft

3. Dano50

Dano50 LawnSite Bronze Member

Try spraying it with Fluid Film. With no solvent content it will stay lubricated for an extended period of time. Longer than any other product on the market.
  4. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

If you drop the door, and then it rises back off the ground, is your spring wound too tight? or do you need to lengthen the lifting wires.

Do be careful if you mess with the spring. they can be dangerous. And never unhook both lifting wires at the same time....
  5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Dummy me..........yes use fluid film to lube it............fluid film is good stuff!!!!!!

6. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

Fluid Film...I Love that stuff:)
  7. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

I got it fixed. It was just because the flap on the back fell off, so it made the weight just a tad less which then ofset the springs. I screwed the flap back in place and it was working again. thanks for the help guys
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Better learn how to replace those springs ours don't last a full year and when it breaks you better be out of the way. It is almost impossible for one person to raise the ramp. We open and close ours about 40 times a day so it get a lot of use.