Rear Hitch for ZTR

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by bharrison, Aug 8, 2001.

1. bharrison

bharrison LawnSite Member

Does anyone know of an OEM hitch for ZTRs? I have a Kubota ZD21, and would like to add the hitch, but Kubota does not offer one. I am hoping to find one from another manufacturer and fit it on to the Kubota.

Thanks
    -Ben

2. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

Is there a suitable location where you can weld the square tube assembly from a Reese hitch? If so, then the only thing one has to do is simply remove the receiver when it's not needed.........Lynn

3. HOWARD JONES

HOWARD JONES LawnSite Member

I bought the hitch for my Toro Z255 - it simply clamps onto the vertical straps (engine/pulley protection cage) - would fit any mower that has vertical straps at similar spacing - I can give you more dimensions if you're interested.

4. bharrison

Hear is a pic of the rear of the unit. There are some mounting points on the rear for the grass catcher. I would like to use these bolt holes. I thought about the reese hitch thing, but have caught wind of possible warranty problems with adding hitches. I would like something that I could take off if it ever had to go to the dealer for service.

The width of that rear plate is 16 1/8"

Thanks

5. bharrison

Hear is a pic of the rear of the unit. There are some mounting points on the rear for the grass catcher. I would like to use these bolt holes. I thought about the reese hitch thing, but have caught wind of possible warranty problems with adding hitches. I would like something that I could take off if it ever had to go to the dealer for service.

The width of that rear plate is 16 1/8"

Thanks

zd09s.jpg

6. HOWARD JONES

Nice looking machine! I don't think very many Kubotas have shown up on these sites - maybe you can give us a long-term performance report.
    I think Gorrell and I interpreted your intentions differently - are you wanting a ball hitch, or just to pull the small lawn trailers, which usually have a flat plate and pin? I assumed the latter. If so, the Toro unit is really simple - basically a piece of "angle iron" clamped to a flat plate to hold it on, with holes in the appropriate places - looks like the rear of your unit does not have vertical straps to clamp to, but you could possibly use the existing bolts, especially if they could be replaced by longer ones - then spacers could be used if necessary - a 3-point mount would be much stronger, if there is a bolt location at the bottom - I will get you some dimensions tonight from the Toro, but honestly it looks like you may need to get one fabricated.

7. bharrison

I just want to pull a seed spreader, sprayer, etc.
    Here is a better shot of the rear. You can see the bolts I'm referring to. The dimension I gave is for these bolts. If I have to, I can make something out of angle. I would prefer to find something made for a ZTR that I can make fit with minor fabricating.

As far as the unit itself, I like everything about it. There are two other ZD21 owners here that I know of. These are fantastic units, and go through VERY LITTLE fuel.

Thanks
    Ben

zd12s.jpg

8. HOWARD JONES

The Toro hitch measures 15 1/4 inches overall, with 1/4 inch mounting holes spaced 14 1/8 and another pair at 7 1/8 - sounds like it would be at least one inch too short to work for you. When I was shopping for mowers, I don't remember seeing any other brand with a hitch kit - anybody else have one out there?

9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

take two old blades and bolt them togather,and bolt them on to the back of your ztr. you may have to enlarge the center holes
    to get a hitch to fit.mine looks like it came on my lazer.

10. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Tony, they probably did come on your lazer, but they were bolted under the deck. :D

I couldn't resist. ;)