rear rotary tillers.

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by lawn king, Feb 28, 2005.

1. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

We need to purchase a 3 PT. tiller. It will be used on two tractors with PTO HP between 16 & 22. I'm leaning towards a woods,any opinions out ther'e on the landpride or howard machines? Thankx in advance.

2. Indydirtfarmer

Indydirtfarmer LawnSite Member

First off, all my experience is with bigger sizes of tillers ;)

I own a Howard Rotovator (80", about 10 years old) and a King Kutter (72" about 4 years old) I use them on the rear of a 60HP tractor. They get hammered. :blob3: ESPECIALLY the King Kutter. I bought it for those jobs that should destroy a tiller, so I wouldn't break the (WAY MORE) expensive Howard unit. :rolleyes:

I've hit roots, rocks, bricks, stumps, buried car parts, wire, re-bar, and on occation, some dirt.... :help:

Not so much as a whimper from it. Point being???? I can buy 3 or 4 King Kutter tillers for what I paid for ONE Howard Rotovator. The Howard unit is one fine piece of equipment, no doubt. Just makes better economic sense to buy the less expensive one. Woods sells a decent tiller. It's made for them by someone else. (Italian Co. Name escapes me at this time) The entire secret to a tiller is making sure the slip clutch'll slip when you need it to. Other than that, this is one case when cheaper might just be better. payup payup

3. Rex1321

Rex1321 LawnSite Member

Add another vote for King Kutter. It's a 6 foot model pulled with a 57hp tractor. In the past two years it's dug up junk than I would think possible without a single failure. I don't know when landfills started operation in Alabama, but I do know what happen to all the trash before that date.

4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Just about all the tillers out there are pretty good. The three brands you mentioned are all good but you could save quite a bit of money by getting a King Kutter.

5. mickeyg

mickeyg LawnSite Member

I have/use a Rotadarion, its great!. Its very heavy, built better than a tank, cost alsmost as much as a tank, but it does so much more than tilling.

6. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've heard a lot of good things about the Befco tillers, they are priced reasonable and are tough as nails. They are manufactured one hour east of here in Rocky Mount, NC.

7. Scooter_2

Scooter_2 LawnSite Member
    from Socal

what exactly is a rotadarion???

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

8. down size

down size LawnSite Member
    from indiana

I use a 6 foot JD good tiller. but when it's gone King Kutter for me!

9. toddnks

toddnks LawnSite Member

If you really want to clear land you need a Rotoclear!

We used one to clear what used to be railyards pulverized everything, ties, tracks etc to a fine powder.

There are some drawbacks, you have to pull it with a d7 sized tractor, and it takes about 30 gallons of fuel per hour to operate.

Seriously we had a pegaro tiller behind a yanmar 14hp tracter a few years ago, it did very well. I think it was a 48".

Todd

10. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Hey Indy, how much was that KingKutter? I'm looking a 60". Does KingKutter have a heavy duty model or are they all the same? Agri-Supply here in Raleigh carries them. I'm sure Smalltimer is familiar with the place. They also carry Caroni. That may be the Italian co. you're thinking of.