Rear View?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOturkey, Oct 6, 2007.

1. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

You guys will probably get some laughs out of this one, but I was wondering if anyone ever thought about, or actually installed, a rearview mirror on their Z?

Might sound silly, but it scares the crap out of me when I'm mowing a right-of-way with my back to the traffic and some idiot comes roaring by at 60 mph a full 18 inches or so from the left side of my mower. Also would be handy when you are mowing and discharging into the roadway, so you can stop when someone approaches in the opposite lane, particularly if the ditch has rocks or other debris. Would also be nice to keep an eye on traffic when you get ready to pull out of the ditch at the end.

I was thinking of using a small convex mirror so as to get a wide view, but am not sure where one could realistically be mounted. Perhaps on the control arms? I have headlights, and I suppose mirrors could be mounted utilizing their mounting brackets, which would require some fabrication of metal, which I'm not all that handy with. Any thoughts?

2. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

I've got some safety advice when mowing close to roadway. Time it so it's the least busy time of the day, do it when it's clear when you're the closest to the street and you should be fine. Just plan it, that's all.

In my opinion, a rear view mirror is probably useless cause of the shaking of the machine and the fact is that when you're looking into that mirror, you're likely to plow into a deck, a house, a fence etc...:laugh: :laugh:

:)

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I've thought about it mostly for backing up, but I can't find a feasible way to mount one that will look good, work well, stay out of harm's way, and not require major modifications... I suspect welding to the front casters or thereabouts might be the only solution, then they're far away but where else?

As for cars that don't bother me, let them smack into me.
    But I usually do wait until the traffic clears, that helps.
    Because I also don't need no flying debris damage.

4. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

DuraCutter, I understand what you are saying, but each situation is different. My home, as well as three of my accounts are on primary state highways, and a couple of others are on secondary routes that see a lot of traffic. The only time you could mow and not expect to have cars pass while you are doing the ditch is probably about 2:00 AM. :)

I've driven a truck every day for the past 25 years, so that perhaps gives me a little different perspective, as truckers check their mirrors constantly. I'm not really concerned about the use of a mirror causing me to lose focus as to where I'm going, just that glancing at the mirror as I was mowing would let me keep track of where vehicles are in relation to me, and would certainly be safer than rubbernecking over your shoulder as I have to do now.

I'm thinking a stick on convex will work on the control arm of the Gravely, due to the way they are constructed. I'm going to try it, when I get a chance to run into town, and let you all know if it works. All I have to lose is a couple of bucks.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Actually, not so crazy Neill...let us know how you make out.

6. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

You could always use/modify a waterski mirror.
    Its basically the same idea.

boat1.jpg

7. wooley99

wooley99 LawnSite Senior Member

I think stalks on the caster arms (like the cars in Japan have on their front fenders) would look cool and last for about 15 minutes or until I got to the first hedge.
    You could go geek and use a bike mirror. What I really want is somewhere to mount the DVD screen...

HelmetMirror.gif

8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

What about a camera mounted on the back with a video screen where you could see it. Just joking but I noticed that some Toyota and maybe other brands of truck use camera's mounted in back to help you hook up a trailer. Great Idea for a truck, especially if the trailer is too heavy to move easily.

9. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic