Rear wheel spinning and spinning and spinning...

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by dafreak, Jun 7, 2006.

1. dafreak

dafreak LawnSite Member

I have a Mini FasTrak and the rear left wheel spins and spins and spins. Wet, dry, hill, no hill. It is driving me nuts. This machine is 1 month old. Would low air pressure be causing this?

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Generally low pressure helps with traction.

3. dafreak

dafreak LawnSite Member

So are you saying the air pressure is too high or is there som other explanation..???...I can barely turn the thing at times....

4. fishinpa

fishinpa LawnSite Senior Member
    from SE PA

Mine does this also. I was wondering if it's because I only fill the right-side tank, but I actually think it's a combination of the "small" drive tires and the turf-saver tire tread.

I'm thinking that a different tire will help resolve "my" issue.

Anyone have a suggestion for a "grippier" tire that I can get in the same size? I really don't want to have to adust a re-pitch the deck over a set of new tires.

5. mike28nc

mike28nc LawnSite Member

I have the same problem with my FT 44". I have to really take my time to turn around or anything. I did notice when I had the trailer on the machine the other day. It turned very well. I think it has to do with weight. Just not enough weight for the tire!

6. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

First, I would try my tire pressure lower, around 8 to 10 PSI.
    Second, I would slow down a bit and see if that helps.

Pj

7. dafreak

dafreak LawnSite Member

Slow down? The problem usually occurs when I am going slow. Sometimes I feel my body jerking trying to get the thing to turn-like I am pushing it. It is very frustrating to say the least. I will try to adjust the air pressure but I am not holding my breath.

8. wushaw

wushaw LawnSite Member

I also have a 36" MFT and a much larger ZTR with 24" tires.
    The little tires on the MFT will spin like nobodys business if you are not carefull. The big tires on my other machine will spin also but nothing like the MFT, I think the weight of the machine helps alot.
    I run 10psi in the tires on both machines.
    I think it is tread design and weight.
    I think bar tires may help if they are built in that small size.
    I have two tractors...one with r4s and the other with turf, the turf tires will loose traction fairly easy and both are filled with liquid.

9. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's your fix... learn to instinctively rotate your caster wheels before turning.

10. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

That does help.
    Also check the pressure in those caster wheels. If (for example) your left front tire is low or flat it will pull weight off your right rear tire and add weight to the left rear, making it difficult to turn right, especially in an off-camber situation.
    If you only have loss of traction on one side that could be the reason.