Rear wheels are stick on the axle shaft :(

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by 2manymowers, Apr 27, 2004.

1. 2manymowers

2manymowers LawnSite Member

Hi,
    This is a Yardman riding lawn tractor with 20 hp Kohler and a hydrostatic drive. I bought it new about 9 yrs ago and during the first season I had new lug type tires mounted and installed 50 lb wheelwheights on the inside of the rims. Put the rims back on the axle and had no problems, until now. I want to take off the tires and weights, but even with a gear puller they have only moved a little bit. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Neal

2. Arnold

Arnold LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

I once had this problem with my Pontiac. Go to rotate the tires and can't get the wheels off, took it to the tire shop and they put it up on the rack then hit them with a sledge hammer a few time and off they came. Be carefull not to damage the rims. Good luck

3. 2manymowers

2manymowers LawnSite Member

Already tried that. There's not much but the lip of the rim to hit on the inside. The plastic coated weights are inside the back of the rim. I may try heating the rim around the shaft with a torch tomorow.

Thanks,
    Neal

4. lahanko

lahanko LawnSite Member
    from NY

Coca-cola works almost every time. Let it sit, apply two or three times. Large hammers will only bend things.