Rear Wheels, Bigger, or Smaller.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fatboy5803, Jun 29, 2003.

1. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

What's the pro's & con's with having bigger rear wheels ? I was Looking at a Scag Cub 48" / Exmark 48" side by side, and the Scag's were 12" and the Exmark were 10" rear tires.. Any information would be appreciated.. Thanks..

Lou :cool:

2. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Diameter of wheels and size of tires is determined by deck design.
    Some may say larger tire equals better grip, but, all other factors being equal, it wont make that much difference.
    If you're looking at a mower purchase, I wouldn't let wheel/tire size be a really big issue, too many other crucial factors to consider before wheel size.
    Just my opinion though.

3. What are they on? A ZTR?

You must be referring to rim diameter.
    Dixie Chopper and Grasshopper run small rims and big fat tires for a smoother ride.
    It looks to me like they'd bounce all over, but the manufacturers must know what they're doing.

You could run 20" rims and little skinney tires that look like rubber bands to make your mower look cool.:D :D

Or are you referring to overall diameter too?
    The smaller ones hold hills better.
    The larger ones roll over holes better.

Am I helping at all?

Dave

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Fatboy,

Both the Cub and the LazerHP have 23x9.50-12 Tires on their 48" mowers.

Don't know what you mean by 10 and 12 though?

5. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

TLS

I don't know which Exmark I was comparing to the Cub, But both were 48" decks. The cub had the 12 Diameter, and the exmark had 10 diameter.. 23x9.50-12 you say is on Both. Not the one that I saw.. I'll have to go back and see what model the exmark was..

Lou :cool:

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would suggest wider tires on the back...we have that problem with our 32" right now. It leaves these deep trenches because of the narrow tires. We are actually going to change the tires here during the slow season to a wider tire.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

You must have seen that "When I grow up I want to be a Lazer" Lazer-CT It does have 10" rims.