Reasonable Amount

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Frontier-Lawn, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

ok heres the story. my 7month old daughter is going to shrinners hospital to get her dislocated hip fixed (been going since nov 19th) should be done in feb. i would like to donate some company money starting in sept 2005 and continuing each year. what amount should i give? i don't want to give to much (make them think im loaded) or too little (think im cheap). any help would be great.

ps what places does your company's donate 2?

2. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

we donate to our local children's hospital. my daughter suffered a severe staph infection when she was a month old and was in and out for 2 weeks, including a surgical stay. all turned out well with her.

if you want to feel like you are having a more direct impact on the kids, we now do direct toy/book/comics/coloring books/infant toys, etc donations. last year we did it at christmas, but found that dozens of others also did so as well and they seemed overwhelmed. we are now going to do it 2 or 3 times a year. i wouldn't stress on the cash amount issue and just give whatever you feel comfortable with. ask the staff what the kids could use. ours told us coloring books were always needed. shopping for books and coloring books at the local dollar stores really can stretch your money a long way.

another outlet may be to look into whether the hospital has a ronald mcdonald house for families to stay in near the hospital.

best of luck to your daughter and family.

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I dont think that they will think your cheap no matter what you give.

4. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

ok thanks alot ill find out what they could use next visit in jan
    she does not mind the cast

uncomp.jpg

5. kalyeah

kalyeah LawnSite Member

Beautiful little girl.

6. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Cute. They won't think you're cheap, give what you can even if it's volunteer help. Sometimes they need you more than they need your money.

7. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Frontier-Lawn,

I hope your daughter feels better soon.

You could also consider somehow getting involved with fund raising in your area. They may appreciate you donating your time like that more than donating money and it could possibly be even more helpful.

8. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

Goodwill is the greatest intangible asset

9. Ecobjs

Ecobjs LawnSite Member

I think it is great that you are going to give, anything helps. We donate a lot of time and materials to local groups. Get involved in cleanups or building new beds for them. They seem to really like that. I tried to give money once to a local community clean-up group and they said they would rather have the extra hands and expertise. We pay our employees to work these events and now some of them donate their time as well.

We also give to groups other groups. The total cost is about 10% of our bottom line right now.

10. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Very cute little girl there! I remember when my oldest son broke his leg at 18 months, what an adventure with him and the cast...he got the hang of it soon enough. Hope your daughter comes out like brand-new.

I would just donate whatever money or services/time you are comfortable with. That's all anyone can ask for. Whether its 10 bucks per month or whatever, just go with what you can do. I'm not a particularly religious person, but I do believe that when you help others in some way, shape, or form, it will come back to help you later on when you are in need.