Reasonable service turnaround time?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grasssin, Jun 20, 2005.

1. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

Once again another issue comes up from my local Exmark dealer... Dropped my mower off today to get serviced, and the service guys states "It will more than likely be NEXT MONDAY OR TUESDAY before we get to it.." I dont know about what your dealers do for yall but when I buy I $7000 piece of equipment from them I expect to at least have a loaner availible (sp) for me to use..I mean what the hell, I saw an old farmer and his son drop off a JD lawn tractor that he
    uses around the house in front of me...

I take it that his will be service before mine... when I bought my machine I was told that I would be given priority on repairs and services and now it seems like they are reniging on that offer... Since it is the only dealer in my area I dont know what to do...

2. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

thats how alot of the dealers are around here. They're all bigger dealers and they seem to cater to the homeowners (even though they tell the commercial guys that they get to us first). I have to go to a dealer 30 mins away for my new mower because the one that is down the road from me is a moron, sucks but atleast I'll have good service.

3. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I would say that any dealer who sells commercial equipment, needs to understand that we make our money using it. If they think that it's okay for us to just drop everything for a week while we lay up a machine, why should we buy another peice of equipment from them?

I'm having simialar thoughts. I spent 7000+ on an exmark and the other day I stopped by and asked if one of the techs could come out and look at something that I had a question on. Do you think he would take 5 minutes and take a peek? Nope.

Same run around with spring service as well. I'm looking at Toro next time.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

My advice is to have some extras. 7 grand? I drop off 15K mowers and I am glad to get it back in a week. Get real sport.

5. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Grassin, not to be harsh, but learn to work on your own equipment, or hire an independant mechanic on an hourly basis. I realise that some things are or can be quite time consuming and in-depth, however, what would be cheaper: hiring a competent guy @ $20 an hr., or waiting for the dealer to take their time servicing your gear all the while you're losing $$ ?..

6. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

BTW I forgot, even the crappy dealers will get your equipment back to you in 3-4 days here, so far everyone that goes to the dealer i'm getting the new mower from says he normally gets them done same day or next day unless something needs orderd.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I am the old farmer at my dealer I have been with them for 25 years and have bought 100 times more stuff than your $7K. When I come in to the dealer they take care of me. I also give everybody gifts on holiday, and drinks to service people monthly and I am in the shop buying each week. Get a backup unit you will need it until you learn how to "smoooz people"

8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

My dealer drops everything and works on my equipment.

Just gotta find the right one, even if it isn't the exact brand that you want to mow with.

Gotta flex and give a little to get a lot sometimes.

9. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

If I wanted drop big number figures (Rod with 15k mowers and Ed2hess "have bought 100 times more stuff than your $7K") Wow that is great, you have spent a lot more money than I have..

hopefully by the time I, too am 95 years old I might have spent that much money as well... for the time being 24 years old and being a full time student is enough for me. And by the way 7k is ALOT of money for me to spend right now....that is not the point....... seems like they would want to take care of me the way they said they would when I bought the damn mower...BECAUSE I am young they might want to get 700k out of me in the future....if not as stated earlier Toro is just as good.

I have nothing against the regular customers of theirs.. but since I am doing this as a business, it would seem like that would take priority over a guy getting his mower fixed for his home use...

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

you are absolutely right...period