Reasonably priced CGM

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by hotwired, Mar 4, 2008.

1. hotwired

hotwired LawnSite Member
    from maine

Good Day All
    Does anyone have some good leads on reasonably priced CGM in pelletized form? For instance "Cocka doodle doo" is around $1 per pound and even though I realized organic will be more expensive, at least for a while, I'm willing to be there's some deals out there. Any thoughts? Thanks all!

2. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think there's any reasonably priced CGM at the moment. You might have to get a pallet or truckload to get a decent deal. You can also try your local feed mill, but you might get powdered CGM (not granulized). That stuff is a pain to spread.

3. TMGL&L

TMGL&L LawnSite Member

Organica carries cgm for about $22 a bag. I believe right now if you buy four bags then you get a bag of their kelp booster and a bag if their microbial conditioner. This way they get you end up with their four step program. Nonetheless, it's 10,000 sq ft. for $88. Some dealers offer a $20 dollar rebate from organica as well which should bring the number to roughly $68.

4. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

I googled "Organica cgm" and the only english results were this thread and 1 garden thread the rest were in spanish.

What is this? how big are the bags? where is it avaiable? what is the parent company?

5. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

I have found that per the "CGM Licensees" page on ISU's website that all of these companies that carry the ISU license are running at exactly $1 per pound.

You will need to do a goggle search for "CGM" looking for companies that sell the good (60% protein) CGM and that also supply your area.

There is not an easy answer to your inquiry. There are simply too many CGM companies each with their own small local supply chain, hopefully there is one that supplies your area.

6. TMGL&L

TMGL&L LawnSite Member

Go to http://www.organica.net to see the products.

The bags are only 25 pounds and the directions read to apply it to 2500 sq. ft. Which seems a little fishy to me since the recomended amount to spread per 1000 ft is 20 pounds. I'm going to use about double the recomended the bag reads. It looks like they're just trying to sell their product by claiming it covers more area than others and looks like it costs less than it already does.

regardless though with the rebate its still an alright deal.

7. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

You're in Manheim. We can get you licensed CGM for around 27 bucks a bag for a 50lb bag if you buy by the pallet. Don't mess around with 25lb bags that are being sold for homeowner use. It will cost you and your customer's more money.

8. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

This directly from the Iowa State site
    HOW TO USE CORN GLUTEN MEAL

NICK CHRISTIANS
    Iowa State University

Corn gluten meal works by inhibiting the root formation of germinating plants. It generally does not inhibit the roots of mature plants or transplants until your reach very high rates (80 pounds/1000 ft2 or higher). It should be applied before germination of the weeds. The weed will germinate and usually forms a shoot, but does not form a root. After germination, a short drying period is needed to kill the plants that have germinated but have not formed a root. Timing is critical. If it is too wet during germination, the plants will recover and form a root. (This is also true of chemical preemergence herbicides).

It is preemergence only, there is no postemergence effect on established weeds. In fact, it makes a great fertilizer for germinated weeds.

If it does not rain in 5 days of application, water it in with approximately .25 inches of water. Then leave a drying period after germination.

It will usually work for about 5 to 6 weeks following germination.

Rates will vary depending on crop and target weed. I generally recommend 20 lbs product per 1000 ft2. This provides about 1 lb of nitrogen per 1000 ft2. Some crops that are grown in rows can be treated in bands in the row and weeds can be tilled between rows. This makes it more economical to use in crop production. Test the material at rates from 10 lbs/1000 ft2 in 10 pound increments to as high as 80 lbs/1000 ft2.

It does not work well with seeded garden crops unless they are seeded deeply (radishes seem to be the exception and there may be others). Transplants or mature plants generally work well. Some producers put down a band, work it into the upper inch of soil, and then put the transplant in the band.

In garden and crop production, growers generally work out their own system, depending on their understanding of the crop they are growing and the weeds they are trying to control.

The material is generally about 10% nitrogen by weight. One hundred pounds has 10 lbs of nitrogen.

The nitrogen will release slowly over a 3 to 4 month period after application.

Go here for more information http://www.hort.iastate.edu/directory/detail.php?id=2

9. Yard

Yard LawnSite Member

My distributor in CT sells Bradfield Organics CGM at $23 for a 40lb bag.
    Their website is http://bradfieldorganics.com/index.html
    You can also check www.agway.com ,I was surprised to see that they have Bradfield CGM for 23.99 a 40lb bag retail after a $3.00 instant coupon.
    I haven't checked the price this season, but I was paying around the same price last year for the Blue Seal brand CGM.

10. ABeez

ABeez LawnSite Member

Check with Wheathill Commodities in Sanger 940 458-2605 I was pleased with their prices .