1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Reason's for dumping Customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bohiaa, Jun 7, 2008.

1. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I replied to a post a while back, informing that I dumped a customer simply because they called me too much. Time is valuable, I would spend 2 to 3 hrs on the phone a week with this lady, So I simply informed her with 80 + Customers and talking to all of them 2 to 3 hrs a week, I not only would go insane, But have to close the doors....

Picked up a day care earlyer this year, everything was fine untill she wanted to move to Thursday, No problem, Come to find out her husband would be there that day. this Guy is a PITA, it's about a 1 hr. Job But he's occuipying about 1.5 hrs of our time, making this a 2.5 hr Visit.

Last Thursday, "I was there" He told his kid to go pick up toys on the turff,
    This kid ofcorse was playing around, So I told the kid to go inside. his dad come out and said I'm trying to teach him how to work, why to work, and develope good work habbits.

I told him that's GREAT, But ya cant do it on my time..
    I cant mow, linetrim or anything while a child is outside, Because he could be injured, and my insurance will NOT pay If I'm doing something stupid....

So here's another Customer that I dropped, Simply because it takes too much time.....

Just wanted to know if others are having this issue ?

2. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

I drop for ongoing slow pay if I think it is intentional or shady(like they may stiff me one day), terrain, trash in yard, dog crap, and people who are way too picky. I don't mind picky people, because I do a good job, I am talking about the ones who can't be pleased.
  3. jaredslawnserv

jaredslawnserv LawnSite Member

Hey, time is money brotha and you aint got all day to mow 1 yard.
  4. E & J Pro Turf

E & J Pro Turf LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I just let 2 accounts go this week also. One of them would call me several times a week and want to discuss her whole yard. She said I just wanted someone to take care of everything. I said ok lets make a list. I gave her pricing and she said I mean, I wanted to pay like $ 10.00 more per week and you just do some of this everytime your here. Ahhhh free yard boy...........
    I said thats not how i run my business. Its a corner lot in a nice area and it looks so much better now we take care of it. I had to say bye bye to her.
    Her comment. You guys are something else. You are the 3rd yard guy I have had in the last year.
  5. zemzabob

zemzabob LawnSite Senior Member

Did you say hmm I wonder why? lol
  6. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

That's great. :laugh: :hammerhead:
  7. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

Brings up a great point! And i've asked this before but need to do it more.

"How many LCO's have you had work for you this past year?" Usually it's a funny look if there's only one, but if the lady or guy throws up their hands and says more than 2...run. Our better customers deserve more of our time, not the pita's. IMO
  8. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I dumped a lady this week because she NEVER has her dog put up...even when I call her the night before to tell her I'll be there at 8am...and the dog is MEAN. Also, she hired some idiot landscaper over the winter who planted 35 evergreen trees on her little bitty 1/4 acre lot. Turned this 30 minute job into and hour!

Ive dumped them for slow pay, crap in the yard, for having a pissy attitude, and for being picky....

Being solo, I can only do so many yards....rather than turn down a good one, I'll cull out a PITA and replace them.
  9. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks, I was hoping others would see my point,
  10. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i hate the customers that think they are the only one you cut and are surprised when you tell them you cant chit chat because you have 6 more to cut.