reasons to pad a pita estmate

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Frontier-Lawn, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

i got back from just doing a estimate for a lady. i was talking & walking the property with her. she wants me to each time i come spray down all equipment before i start with a bleach solution, with her watching to make sure i do it ;) :confused: . well at that point i wrote down a # 3x what i would charge her to do it. handed it to her and said call me if you decide and walked away. i did that not be rude to her and augured about it. she wont be calling me to do it now :laugh: any one else get nut jobs like this?

2. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

I would be running from this lady as fast as I can.

3. mak2

mak2 LawnSite Senior Member

There is rarely enough money to cover a PITA.

4. Mudmower

Mudmower LawnSite Member

In Texas, if an Agriculture Agent from the state is watching, he could write you a very LARGE fine for NOT spraying your equipment between yards. It is a law here but rarely (if ever) enforced.

Jim

5. mak2

mak2 LawnSite Senior Member

In Indy when I took classes for the state pesticide license, the state expert said it is nearly imposslible to transfer disease from one yard to the other.

6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i had one like that -she wanted to inspect my blade for sharpness too!

7. Kickin Your Grass

Kickin Your Grass LawnSite Senior Member

You have a link to where there is documentation of that.

8. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I can understand if she is worried of citrus canker .... but if you live in a quarantine .... it is the law .... an as already stated .... rarely enforced

But I would do the same as you did .... 2x maybe .... either way

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I been talking about that the whole year, you figured out a gold mine right there!

It's not just that they won't call you but it shuts them up so you can leave! Because there's absolutely no sense in messing with this, you've already wasted your time going out there, now the only thing left to do is get outta there! And if you give them a sky high price, it's over. And to be honest, I *LOVE* doing it somedays.

You're right it sounds mean, but I got to the point I feel what they're doing is downright mean, too... How can anyone honestly expect for me to hand wash my machine while they watch, are they for real or what??

There's a whole slew of worms you open with that can, but none of them come your way. The NEXT guy, if he's dumb enough to do it, stands a half a chance of having that lady telling him how the 'other' guy quoted her an outrageous price, and most of the time they'll even blab off the figure.

Yup, I did a butt-buster last year for 400 dollars and the pita told me the other guy quoted her 1,650!!! Now I had to admit that was ridiculous, but I remember thinking I should've quoted at least 600 as I busted my tail and that lady just called me again THIS year and you know I really wished I had charged her at least 600 because this time I never even went out to give the estimate.
    So learn the easy way or do like me and learn the hard way lol.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Well then stick your hand under that deck and don't get to crying when it slices your skin open, that's what I tell them when they say that, as I point to the idle machine. But I get tired of arguing with them over this stuff, I really do.