1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Reasons Why Not to use work tunes.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gatewayuser, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

I stopped allowing worktunes including for myself and gave everyone regular hearing protection to see what happened and it was just what I thought. Better quality work by far and quicker too. The bad thing about not using them is employee moral can drop. So I will be trying to find a happy medium for next year. People stop and change channels for 30 seconds at every job times that by 3 people 1.5 mins each job now times that by 8 jobs 12mins a day times 5 days and what you have is a whole hr of work per week lost. Or 4 hrs a month 28hrs a mowing season. So times that by $50 an hr thats $1,400 a year lost or 4 trimmers not including all the battery cost, so add another $8 per week $32 a month so a blower a year. So in 5 years thats enough money to start a new residential crew. Think if you run multiple crews like 3 thats almost $5k a year down the drain. Another bad one to add is Sat radio to the trucks because employees want to hear the rest of what the comedian has to say(including myself).

I may get blasted for this but really if you sit down and think about how to improve profits you would be amazed where money is being wasted.
  2. CompletePropertyCare

CompletePropertyCare LawnSite Member

happy employees = good work? I don't man, mowing 7 hours straight with no music, yikes!
  3. Gatewayuser

Music=bad work because minds wonder and I have been guilty of this myself. Try it yourself and see what happens. Now on large commercial accounts it is no problem but when you get to 3 acres and less then it is.
  4. zmowing

zmowing LawnSite Member
    from York,PA

no radio no work. We love r work tunes help us work all day
  5. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I know exactly what you mean, radio sucks, always tuning in another station.
    Perhaps the solution is MP3 players or ipods. We tried Worktunes, but they got poor reception, and I got tired of watching guys stand there tuning for half a minute. We switched to ipods under regular muffs, no more fiddling, happy employees, happy boss. Plus you can get books on mp3.
  6. Gatewayuser

I would be willing to buy ipods and they could give me a list to download for them.

DOLMARatOS LawnSite Member

i agree with the iPods over the traditional tunes.

I on the other hand prefer comfortable earplugs. I know that my senses are dulled by the unit and the hearing protection so I prefer to not be distracted by music when operating potentially dangerous equipment.

I've found that when listening to music, a lot of people tend to zone out a bit and lose that edge that keeps us from killing the sprinkler head, scalping the corner, blasting a window or not noticing your buddy with the trimmer (and his tunes on not notice me) and pinch him against a building or blast him with clippings.

my $0.02
  8. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

We are considering the same idea. We get a promotions catalogue that has neat ones throughout it. You can have company ones made for perks and bonuses. Another write off.
  9. Gatewayuser

That is exactly what I was meaning! Thank you!:waving:

Great Idea!!!
  10. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I know what you mean, the time tuning eats up alot of time at the end of the week.

When I was at a supervisor at my last job(production fab shop). We found that we achieved more production by allowing radios in the shop. We never would allow talk radio type programing cause minds would wonder off and production would slow. We got even better results by having one radio running through the intercom so no one would be spending time switching stations all day.

This year I'm going to be running a MP3 player with my peltors so no switching channels. Also, i see where Elevex has a radio type ear muff that has push botton programable tuning. Anyone use them?