Reasons why the customer canned you

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ol'time Lawncare, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I picked up this lady late summer.I've always said their is a reason why customers call late in the season and i was right.... she told me she's had three lawn boys this year already! With that i new i was in trouble. Well i cut her the rest of the summer with out any trouble. The other day i did her clean up, that same morning she was praising me on how a good job i did for her. When i got home that night ,she was on the answering machine saying that i didn't blow off her trampoline and that i suck and i'm fired! can you believe that? what an A hole!!!

2. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

I picked up a new customer this year like that. I was the 3rd LCO by May. Neighbor told me she was crazy. Said if she comes out in the morning in a blue robe, all is ok. If she comes out in a red robe, don't speak to her. lol

Customer complimented me, said her lawn never looked a well in 40+ yrs of living there.

Customer was late on 1st monthly bill. I called her to see if she received a bill or if there was a problem. She said "you ruined my yard, your services are no longer needed".

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Oh yeah,..the good ol' "you ruined my yard". Now there's an old standby. How about the perverbial "You just don't cut it short enough". This is a pretty common one.
    On a serious note though, the way that I have actually lost a lawn - and at fault, was from not being there when I should have. Dependability plays such a major part in this game. That was years ago, and I learned my leson well. Now, there are people who you can let slide a bit - especially in the dryer conditions, and as a matter of fact, some even really appreciate that because they save money. But in the spring growth, when we're struggling to keep up, and we get behind, we can only appreciate the understanding and patient customers. That, I do - because I do tend to run behind on things.

4. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Picky customers,hea man you don't need em,glad you got out when you can.

5. DynaMow

DynaMow LawnSite Senior Member

First she wanted mowed with a 21 and a bagger, then said it was to short (I was at 3 1/4") then she fired me over leaving marks on the driveway (when cutting wet late in season, left green tire marks on drive) well I was glad to go it was a $20 lawn that I just do not need.

6. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

Lost one a few years ago because the woman had us wait two or three weeks at the very end of the season then claimed we "missed" little streaks here and there. Real reason was she found someone else to do it cheaper.
    We lost one because the lawn was soggy and we kept turning the sprinkler down trying to prevent ruts. The owner was convinced it needed to be watered for hours each week and just knew we were "gonna burn it up":rolleyes:

7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Don't take it personaly,I know it's hard not to but you gotta not let these things sap your
    self confidence in your work performance,and they will if you let them.This kind of thing happens all the time,don't let it bother you and move on.

8. Scotts' Yard Care

While we hate to lose an acount, if we know we were doing a great job in the best interest of the customer then what else can we do? It's a lot easier to be philosophical about it when you've done this work for many years and realize that some people you just can't keep happy.

9. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Exactly! I have lost quite a few because I did not mow it on one inch, would not bag it (when not needed and did not want to pay extra) wanted me there at exactly 9:00 AM on Friday, not one second later and so on. When you have done your best just forget it and let it go. The ones that used to bother me was when they insulted my work and what it was that they found someone cheaper and did not want to tell you so they make it your fault:angry:

10. Scotts' Yard Care

we've run into that "one inch" customer frequently around here and most we have been able to convert once they see how good a lawn looks mowed the right way:) Some you simply can't educate and we let someone else ruin....er, mow the lawn for those types.:D