Reba Ad insulting "mowers"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DanG, Nov 16, 2001.

1. DanG

DanG LawnSite Member

Anybody else happen to catch the pro-mo for the up coming episode?
    Her character's daughters boyfriend says he's going to get a job & learn how to mow.
    And she makes a snide comment about it.
    Saying that thats something you have to learn?

I feel insulted.;)

Dan G.

2. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

In the buisness world we are next to the owest of the low on what people think....but who cares, as long as you are happy....I have lived with the title of Lawn boy for ever........

3. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Is what this dude who worked for me in the summer of 2000 said until he was fired.

He seemed to have a problem with crashing my ZTR's into tree stumps and breaking spindles.

AND he would take 15 min to edge 20' of concrete.

I have bumped stumps but never with enough force to break metal.

ANY MONKEY???

I bet some of us make as much $ as attorneys!

SHHHH !!!!! DON'T LET THE WORD OUT. LET 'EM THINK WE ARE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE BARRELL.

I bet lots of us have customers who earn less than we do and yet they still look at us like lower class.

AGAIN

Shhhh! Let it be our secret.

Ken

4. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't belittle the general populace because the job of lawn mowing is considered empty headed. I'll bet Bill Gates even mowed a lawn at one time in his life. And any one of us who mowed a lawn before deciding to make a business of it, remember how you would view the lawn mowing if you were not in the business.

Joe homeowner pulls out his Lawnboy or Toro, or jumps on his Deere or Wheelhorse. Why does he do this week after week, and the job is so mundane? It is an escape! Sealed in a cocoon of noise, the rest of his ratrace world ceases to exist. The grumpy boss at work is forgotten; even if the old lady nags, you can't hear her; the kids can fight and hassle each other all they want, can't hear them either.

And what is there to concentrate on? Just ride or walk behind the machine, and relax your mind.

So is it any wonder that the lawn guy is looked down on by the general public? His job doesn't take a whit of mental work, he gets to escape the ratrace so much, and I'm so jealous of the SOB that he gets to spend all day like that. LOL. If only they knew. LOL

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i really dont think we are looked down on that much.
    i know some lcos that seem to look down on others w
    less quality equipment. its a source of amusement to me.
    they show their own lack of growth.
    as for REBA ill forgive her if she will sing real pretty to us ,
    just once on her show.later now

6. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i saw that too. i kind of took offense to it, but i dont think people in general look down on landscapers. she must be all washed up if shes on the WB channel. all the actors and singers that cant cut it end up there. of course, that is my opinion. please no arguing.

7. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I too agree that most people do not frown upon Landscape Contractors. These are not whom she was referring to. She was talking about LMOs.

Many people may bash or insult Lawn Maintenance Operators but its ironic how as Jim pointed out these are the same people that when they need to get a break from their hectic lives turn to the solace of their Murray and Weed Eater -LOL!!!

I think that peoples perceptions are primarily based upon what they see. I know that in some of the more upscale neighborhoods where fly.by.nighters cannot prevail these homeowners have a different view of us, mostly; say compared to some of the middle class ones where any Jabrone can cut the grasses.

Kris

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

What gets me, is that after having almost 20 years invested in a professional landscape and grounds maintenance operation, I still get an occasional simpleton that says. "So, are you still mowing lawns?":dizzy: As for Reba, well, she can grab MY string trimmer anytime!:p

9. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

I agree that its bad for our image.
    Yeah, I agree there is very little to lean if you want to mow a lawn. Anyone can mow a lawn and almost everyone has at one time or another in thier lives.
    Its so easy, anyone can run up to Wall-Mart and buy a $100 Eletric or gas mower and away thay go mowing thier lawn. Most 10yr olds can do it.

Now before everyone starts getting upset let me finish.

This is all thay know, all thay see. Thay think that if thay can mow a lawn, anyone can and its easy money and yeah it is at times.

BUT, there it a lot more we do then just mow a lawn like:
    Cutting with a professional $4000+/- mower VS's the $100 one.
    Knowing how to properly use & maintain our equipment, How to stripe, cut at right lengh, not scalp, run over things, not thow grass everywhere, not clump, mulch, sharp blabes, even cut, when to cut, when not to cut, cut what with what, etc....
    We can also tell when something is wrong, with our equipment and how to fix it.
    Why the lawn is dying, watering problems, drainage problems, light, nutriants, soil condition, erosion, pests, insects, fert, fungi, etc....

We also trim arround borders properly w/ scalping.
    We clean up our mess (grass, leaves, dibres) w/ blower.

I know I left a lot out but I'm only tring to make a point.

Most of us at least can and do most of thoes things, thats what makes us a "PRO". Yeah there are people that dont, thay are called "Scrubs" and the reason our reputation always gets trashed. The ratio between the good and the bad is very close compared to any other line of work, and we end up getting sterotyped with the bad. Unfortunatly there is nothing we can do about it. No one forced us, we choose to get into this line of work. There is a great demand for our services and people see the demand, thay try to hard to quick to make money thinking thay can be one of us, or take buisness from us by offering it at a lower price. The only thing we can do as buisness owners is make our own buisness stand out from the rest in our market area by offering the best service at reasonable prices. If we do this we have no need to worry about them, as the right people will take notice.
    If people would rather have the bad person service thier lawn then fine thay would have been a bad customer anyways.

I would rather dress in old jeans and a t-shirt then a suit & tie.
    Lawyers make a ton of money and thay show it off by driving arround in thier BMW's , living in thier $300,000 house, showing off thier money and thier whores, and expect us to serve them for dimes....
    One day I may make more then my customer, and I will laugh when I see the for-sale sign on his house when I go to service it. I'll offer to buy the thing becasue he is being put in a nursing home, cuz he is so weak from doing nothing but sitting on his ass his whole life.
    I'd rather people think I dont make much. As thay will treat me more like a real person, and not expect anything from me. I'd be a real person and not someone fake. I'd be happy.

10. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

Dang, I just relized how long my post was.... think I'm going for a record or something..... Just felt like venting and stating reality.