Rebel Exeda slow germination

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by john_incircuit, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks Matt,

The Plantation is about the only Pennington Seed I would use. Not bad, but once you find it, you'll see it is way too expensive for what it is.

As for the Davinci and Winning Colors, both are Lebanon products. If the seed store has Davinci, they should be able to get you a bag of the Winning Colors if you wanted it, since it is a bag blend that also contains Davinci.

Anyways, if you want to try Davinci as a single variety, I do not think you will be dissappointed. It's better Turf than Confederate.

I might do you more good listing the individual varieties of Turf Type Tall Fescue I have had sucess with. The single varieties and the contents of the blends listed single... as this gives you more to go on and look for.

Lebanon Seed

Winning Colors Blend = All 4

Turf Merchant Seed
    2nd Millennium
    Aztec II
    Finesse II
    Bonsai 2000

Turf Gem Blend = Millennium, Focus, Finesse II (?)
    Turf Gem II Blend = Millennium, Focus, Aztec II

Mayo Seed or Burlingham Seed or ProSeeds Marketing
    Falcon II
    Falcon III
    Falcon IV
    (Through Mayo Seed in my area)

Not saying there are not others out there that are good also.
    But these are the ones I have tried and had sucess with.
  2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

We have good results with the Falcon III mix up here in WV.
  3. Envy Lawn Service

Yup, the Falcon varieties have a very dark green genetic color naturally.
    They also have excellent cold tolerance and winter color.
  4. mhussey

mhussey LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks a lot Envy for sharing that info with me. I have copied and pasted it into a word doc so that I can take to my feed and seed store. It looks like I will I have to over seed at first of the spring. I hate to do this but the Palmer's Pride Captains Choice didn't really turn out to well. It finally came up but not with the results I had anticipated. I am going to check with my seed store and see if I can't get a bag. Maybe he can start carrying Winning Colors instead of just Davinci. If you don't mind me asking Envy what does a 50lb. bag of Winning Colors cost? Again thanks for all your help.

5. Envy Lawn Service

I've never paid over $1 a pound for the very best of seeds.
    I get the Winning Colors bag for $45-$48.

Anyways, I think you will be pleased with any of the grasses I listed. Ideally though, you should do a soil test to make 100% sure there are no contributing factors there in connection with the other seed not doing well. Additionally, the ideal time to plant new Fescue is in September instead of spring. But if you feel you want to attempt to get something going this spring, you may want to consider the dormant seeding method for best spring results.

Oh, and I just saw your comment on the Troy Built 4 cycle trimmer... LOL...
    Long story, but I tried one and fell victim to that thing also.
    The thing started and ran great, but my god.... it worked me to death on my sites.
  6. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

for those looking for Plantation, Lowes did carry it so you might check there. I havent looked in a while so I dont know if they still have it or not. For me Plantation seems to comeup quick but just doesnt hold up as well as some other varities. I have had good luck with Exedia. Usually fast germination. I suspect that if you are experienceing slow/poor germination that you check your fertilizer blend and rates.