rebore .030 over?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by SUPRASPORT, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

A short block for a 3.5 Briggs is $125. Heck the complete engine can be had for $150!

2. Jeff194307

Jeff194307 LawnSite Member

Are you saying that you would put a 100 dollar engine on a mower that you paid 100 for????

3. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm saying that in that case, you'd be better off buying a new push mower (in my example) than replacing the engine.

In the case of something larger such as a garden tractor, it is more economical to replace the engine than it would be to buy a new one, other than for depreciation purposes.

4. Jeff194307

OK, that makes sense, but the thread starter here is restoring a cub cadet, so I say rebuild it if it is rebuildable. One has to look at the whole picture before making a recommendation. What I was addressing is the trend these days for a mechanic to refuse, well nearly refuse to rebuild in favor of replacement. Could it be that there are few competent mechanics anymore that know what they are doing and really know how to rebuild an engine?/

5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

If they are factory trained mechanics they should know how to rebuild an engine. I know i'm not factory trained and I can do it. I think most people just don't like the thought of it. They would rather replace than rebuild and its a whole lot quicker but it costs more. Personally i would take the cheaper route and rebuild it.

6. Jeff194307

I am factory trained and I hate to say it, but have seen other mechanics who claim to have factory training , but have trouble with simple fixes. I honestly believe that in today's fast fix society, no one has pride of workmanship. It is all about the fast buck and no personal pride. That is on both sides, the machine owners do not care for the equipment with pride either.

7. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Jeff,

Would you please explain what you mean by "factory trained".

8. Jeff194307

Been to the factory schools and have been doing this for over 25 years. What I am trying to convey here is that I feel that there is a trend for dealers and mechanics to "short block" every time there is an internal engine problem. I am asking if this is for convenience, or are todays mechanics lacking in ability and pride.

9. mudpie

mudpie LawnSite Member

I think it is because it is cheaper and easer in the long run to short block. boring is not a fix all you have ware on crankshaft bearings valve valve guides valve seats etc. if you overhaul it for a customer they expect a cheep job that will last forever. if you have a motor that needs bored over size you have other problems besides just rings labors not cheep