Rebuild Kits

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by dunnbw, Mar 29, 2006.

1. dunnbw

dunnbw LawnSite Member

anyone know where I can get a complete rebuild kit for a 19hp B & S
    Model # 42A707
    Type - 1624 01

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

What kind of kit are you looking for ? I know of know one that handles or even puts a complete engine rebuild kit together for this engine.

3. dunnbw

dunnbw LawnSite Member

I need a complete rebuild kit.

4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Complete rebuild kit for what? Do you want a new shortblock or do you want a carb rebuild...what are ya looking for?

5. Restrorob

Again,There's no such thing to my knowledge.......

6. dunnbw

dunnbw LawnSite Member

Can you tell me what parts I need to rebuild the engine, it has a taste for oil.
    Do i just need new rings or should I replace the valve, pistons, etc.?

7. Restrorob

The proper way to do this would be tear down the engine and Mic the cylinders top, center and bottom then the crank rod journals. If the cylinders and crank are with-in spec. check the condition of the pistons for skirt wear and scratches then go from there.

8. dunnbw

dunnbw LawnSite Member

??? I'm just a regular guy who wants to rebuild the engine in his lawnmower.
    I have enough mech exp to get me by. I just want to know what parts to buy before i tear down the engine. so that i can tear it down and rebuild it in one weekend

9. Restrorob

Just to re-ring you will need both head gaskets, Rear cover plate gasket and Rings. Myself I never go into a higher hour engine without replacing the governor gear also which would require removal of the sump cover and would require that gasket and a crank seal. This is just the basic parts, You may find you need other things once you get it a part. De-carbon the pistons and valves and check the valve heads and seats for wear. The cylinders should be de-glazed with a cross hatch to allow the new rings to seat properly. Do not mix the piston and rod assembly's up when removed, Make sure they go back in tha same hole they came out of. The notch in the top of the piston faces up closest to the flywheel.
    Rod screw torque 190 in. lbs.
    Head 40 in. lb. increments to 160 in. lbs There is a pattern but I have no way to post out of the manual so a cris-cross pattern will be close enough to work.
    Cover plate 27 ft. lbs.
    Sump cover 225 in. lbs.
    Valve clearance without springs installed .006-.008 intake, .009-.011 exhaust
    With springs installed .004-.006 intake, .007-.009 exhaust

You can go here and order parts on-line if you like; http://www.briggspowershop.com/Brig...5D4B1F06826601E3030E8786BFBC8BE76531D4BB6D167

Good Luck