1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Rebuild ? on a Kohler CV22 carburetor

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Mowin4cash, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Mowin4cash

Mowin4cash LawnSite Member

Anyone rebuilt a carb on the Kohler CV22 engine? My chopper has 1385 hours on it and today it started smoking and backfiring at idle for a while, then it just died all together. It would not restart. I took off the air cleaner closest to the engine and everything was standing in gasoline. I did manage to restart it at wide open throttle long enough to load it in the trailer. By the time I got back home, I had gas all over the floor of the trailer. It was puking out the side of the carb. I'm sure the crankcase is full too. I assume it is the "Needle and seat" problem. Anyway, I bought the $30.00 kit, and took the carb off the mower this evening. Just looking for ideas/tips on the actual cleaning of the carb, and re-assembly. Thanks.

2. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

i buy a can of carb cleaner and stick the little red tube into every hole on the carb the can has enough pressure to clean out any carb i have tried,when i bought my ex it didnt have a pre filter and the carb got a lot of trash in it and started leaking out of the overflow and has run rough for a while took 10 minutes now it runs great ps wear eye protection and gloves if your hands are sensitive
  3. Mowin4cash

Mowin4cash LawnSite Member

Thanks for everyone's responses! The carb is done and re-installed, and the engine runs like new.