Rebuild or replace 18hp vanguard engine?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by haligan, Sep 21, 2005.

1. haligan

haligan LawnSite Member

I think I just blew my vanguard engine on my great dane standup mower. The linkage to the governor came off. engine rev up, I shut engine down, engine started making clanking noise. I reattached linkage to governor, restarted engine, still made clunking noise and now has locked up. Did not lock up while running, but when I try to restart, it locked up. Any one have any Idea of what the problem could be? If engine is blown should I rebuild or buy new? estimation as to how much to repair or rebuild?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Unless this engine is fairly new or low hours I would recommend a new shortblock which would also save down time. If you post the model and type numbers I can give you a idea what a shortblock would run. You could also check the link below, Some of their complete engines are cheaper than a shortblock.
    http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/ProductList.asp?Category=Engine&Supplier=Briggs

Oh, Sounds like a rod let loose.

3. haligan

haligan LawnSite Member

Restrorob,
    The model # is 350776 type# 1046- A2. Do you think its blown?

4. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

From your description it sounds like a broken rod or some other serious malady. There is no way to know without tearing it apart.

As rob said though, the down time is the problem. It would be worth tearing apart the old engine after you have a new one in place. If it is something repairable, then you can rebuild it at your convenience and have it standing by for when you need it.

Good luck,
    Doc

5. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

thats what i would do. put new engine on, then this winter rebuild old one for a back up

6. Restrorob

By the description you gave this is my guess, When the link came loose the RPM ran away when it did the rod broke 1/3 of the way down from the piston.(which is the most common place in a over rev situation) Then the remaining length of rod still connected to the crank got whipped around and more than likely beat the camshaft and the side of the block before it came to rest jammed between the block or cam causing it to lock up.
    As Doc said the only way to tell if it can be rebuilt is to do a tear-down inspection.
    I looked up the part # on a shortblock, The one below is the proper one for your engine and you can't beat this price going right to Briggs And don't forget a gasket set.
    http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/product.asp?PN=SB496241

On the other hand by the time you add shipping and a gasket set and down time to shortblock, The complete engine below is probably the better deal. Just take it out the box mount and mow.
    http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/product.asp?PN=350777

So now you have all your options all you gotta do is pick one and run with it.
    Good luck !

7. haligan

haligan LawnSite Member

Restrorob,
    Thanks, The engine you referred me to is an electic start. I have a recoil start now. How hard would it be to convert to an electric start? or is there a price difference in the recoil engine vs the electric start?

8. Restrorob

Thats the only engine they have listed for your replacement, All you should have to do is install your old starter cup and recoil assembly on the new engine. I helped Glenn J with the same type conversion on a engine he bought from there also, Theres nothing to it. You could also remove the starter and sell it to further offset the engine cost, The starter alone is in the 125.00 range.